News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

The car model on the loading screen

Started by dreadnaut, October 18, 2020, 10:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cas

Quote from: Daniel3DI think it can be done in blender, maybe anim8tor.
I'll make time for it later. But I'm afraid that I will lose al paintjobs
If you export an OBJ from the car model with Stressed, paint job information is lost. You can use CarWorks instead to export OBJ information and if I remember well how I wrote it, the information for the first paint job will be kept. You will then need the materials file for Stunts to put the new OBJ back in. Now, if the original model does have several paint jobs and all you want to do is scale it and nothing else, I can make a quick and simple program that just reads the original 3SH file, scales it to the desired size and writes a 3SH file keeping everything else. Does the title 3SH file contain the three models?
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Ryoma

Thanks Cas. Effectively, the 3 models are present.
Car0 shall be magnify 7 times about.
Car1 and Care shall be reduce 3 times about.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Cas on January 27, 2021, 08:58:21 PM
Quote from: Daniel3DI think it can be done in blender, maybe anim8tor.
I'll make time for it later. But I'm afraid that I will lose al paintjobs
If you export an OBJ from the car model with Stressed, paint job information is lost. You can use CarWorks instead to export OBJ information and if I remember well how I wrote it, the information for the first paint job will be kept. You will then need the materials file for Stunts to put the new OBJ back in. Now, if the original model does have several paint jobs and all you want to do is scale it and nothing else, I can make a quick and simple program that just reads the original 3SH file, scales it to the desired size and writes a 3SH file keeping everything else. Does the title 3SH file contain the three models?
the title contains only one model,

and it's a not very well modeled one at that.
so, once the scaling is fixed, they will need a good cleaning.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Daniel3D

Quote from: Daniel3D on January 27, 2021, 09:41:45 PM
the title contains only one model,

The title contains one car model, and two models of the surface its driving on,
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Duplode

Quote from: Ryoma on January 27, 2021, 09:02:56 PM
Car0 shall be magnify 7 times about.
Car1 and Care shall be reduce 3 times about.

A few notes on the factors... The brav model has dimensions 108 x 52 x 200. Reducing it by a factor of 3 would give 36 x 17 x 67. That being so:

• I suspect a height of 17 might be a little too cramped for that model, though of course we'll only really know that when we get to look at the rescaled model.
  • 67 is a rather short length next to the original cars (the Countach car1, for instance, is 104 units long). The car would look relatively small next to the other objects, and, once you set up the physical dimensions in the RES file to match the 3D model, would also have nimbler than average handling. It's a valid design choice, of course, if you want to do it like that -- in that case, the similarly sized DTM custom cars should give you an idea of what to expect.
  • Don't worry too much about matching real-life car dimensions, as the sizes of Stunts' original cars are inconsistent.
  • car0 is always 20 times larger than car1. But I guess you already knew that, as 3 x 7 = 21  :)

Quote from: Cas on January 27, 2021, 08:58:21 PM

I think exporting through Stressed preserves the selected paintjob (though not the other paintjobs, polygon flags and cull data). The brav shape does have multiple paintjobs, but the ones other than the first are all half-done and would have to be worked upon anyway. In any case, write-a-tiny-program is the best strategy we have right now for scaling a finished shape.

Quote from: Daniel3D on January 27, 2021, 06:24:52 PM
I think it can be done in blender, maybe anim8tor.

Anim8or can do that, though additional paintjobs will indeed be lost upon exporting. Back in the day, I would use Anim8or to make the basic car1 shape, scale it up for car0, and then import them back to Stressed for paintjobs, flags, and possibly adding small details and making minor adjustments.

Ryoma

Forget the Chubasco, the car is the Lamborghini Bravo. That makes sens with the name.

Cas

I created a simple program to generate a proper 3D car file (almost) from the original title car file. I've attached the following:

title.3sh - The uncompressed version of title.p3s, which contains the original title car 3D model
newtitle.3sh - The resulting car shape, containing all three scaled models and the "debris" so it can be tested in Stunts
tit2sh.bas - The source code of the program I made. If you guys need me to, I can compile it and upload it. It's made in FreeBasic

I didn't know which size exactly it was going to be, so I made a few tests. Because I'm not completely sure if the scale I chose is right, the program allows to choose the scaling factors each time it is run. The first factor it asks you for is from the original model, to the showroom model; the second is from the showroom model, to the track model; the third one is from the track model to the far-away model. For the file I'm posting, I used factors 8, .05 and .8 respectively.

Because I didn't have a quick way of producing appropriate debris and that's very easy to do with Stressed, I just copied the car2 model to the debris, so you'll see how funny it looks when lots of tiny cars shoot out into the sky when you crash. Also, like with CarWorks, I've used the same number of primitives for all models, which is not optimal, but works.

I noticed that of the 7 paint jobs, only the first is really made to look normal, but with a few touches, the others can be used too. There's also something in two of the wheels. They are rotating in the wrong direction. I guess the order of the wheel vertices is wrong. I haven't  done anything to them. I just scaled the original vertices, so whatever strange artifact you see, it was already there.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Cas on January 28, 2021, 04:17:05 AM
There's also something in two of the wheels. They are rotating in the wrong direction. I guess the order of the wheel vertices is wrong. I haven't  done anything to them. I just scaled the original vertices, so whatever strange artifact you see, it was already there.
I thought I noticed that when I was looking at the model..

Easy to fix, but I'll let it be. Fixed it anyway, looked stupid, and it was easy. (corrected the debris as well)
@CAS: Thanks for the quick work.
It's wonderful to go to bed with an issue and see it solved when you wake up..
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Daniel3D

Quote from: Ryoma on January 27, 2021, 11:04:08 PM
Forget the Chubasco, the car is the Lamborghini Bravo. That makes sens with the name.

I spent quite some time looking for a car which would fit the brav name. And couldn't find it. But I saw this car and didn't check it because of the back window....

But you are right without any doubt.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

CTG

Akoss Poo likes this picture.

Daniel3D

Quote from: CTG on January 28, 2021, 08:46:19 AM

Akoss Poo likes this picture.
Probably not for the car...
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Ryoma

Remember that is an 1974's car...the same for the legs...

CTG

Daniel3D

Quote from: Cas on January 28, 2021, 04:17:05 AM
I created a simple program to generate a proper 3D car file (almost) from the original title car file. I've attached the following:

title.3sh - The uncompressed version of title.p3s, which contains the original title car 3D model
newtitle.3sh - The resulting car shape, containing all three scaled models and the "debris" so it can be tested in Stunts
For the file I'm posting, I used factors 8, .05 and .8 respectively.

So basically, we can use it in reverse to add any car to the intro,
car1 scaled times 2..
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Daniel3D

Did some work on the dash,
not brilliant, but its a start.
Complete car here.
Still has the performance of the countach.
Edison once said,
---------
---------