News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Caterham Super Seven JPE

Started by Zapper, March 23, 2021, 03:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapper

Hi dreadnaut,

that tachometer has that "green line" in order to show the best power range of the engine like shown on this real example:



I can try to make a slightly darker yellow background of it.

alanrotoi

I'll try it. Zapper is synonym of high quality custom cars.

Zapper

#17
Hi to everyone, after dreadnaut's suggestion here is a test with a less "lime yellow" color on all dial's background:

(test on left, original v1.1 dash on right)

What do you think about it?

The STDA file is attached if you want to try it out.

KyLiE

Quote from: Zapper on October 19, 2021, 03:19:37 PM
What do you think about it?

It's a little easier to see the needles, but the different shade of yellow doesn't look as nice.  If it was me, I would take some artistic liberties due to the limitations of Stunts and change the colour scheme of the instruments entirely.

Zapper

Quote from: KyLiE on October 19, 2021, 06:30:27 PM
Quote from: Zapper on October 19, 2021, 03:19:37 PM
What do you think about it?

It's a little easier to see the needles, but the different shade of yellow doesn't look as nice.  If it was me, I would take some artistic liberties due to the limitations of Stunts and change the colour scheme of the instruments entirely.


Although the natural customization applied in such car as the Lotus/Caterham Seven/Super 7 and all over the years by their owners/assemblers, every Caterham Super 7 in this "JPE" limited edition from 1992 that I found in the internet has that lime yellow color background, which it's also specific of this special version.
So I tried to replicate as much as possible (and as Stunts allows) on this car that matches Stunts era.

Ryoma

I am agree with zapper and think that we can let it as is.

alanrotoi

I like the cars when are the most close to the real car as possible but if it makes a difficulty of play maybe we should consider an artistic liberties. Also the needle in real car is dark so it's not a big deal if the background is darker because in stunts can't change.

PS: Zapper you have a private message ;D

Zapper

#22
Another test with "lime green" coloured background:

dreadnaut

Lime green is definitely more visible!

Daniel3D

I've been thinking about it a bit. And the lime green looks good. quite close to the picture posted earlier.

I don't know if the contrast is good enough for competition though.

Can you try a version that's more like hill green?
With a darker green for the green line at the end of the gage.

Don't know if that will look good.. but I think green is better visible than yellow.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts or 4D Sports Driving.

Ryoma

Sincerely as a car maker, I am not agree with you, guys. Every car has issue in the real life and in Stunts. It was the reason why automotive is so passionnate...

My opinion is : Zapper choose the color and we deal with. It will be a new challenge .

I like this car with the original color and I deal with it. If you are not happy as I said every time, "just do it".

Cas and other people made some wonderful tools to modify easily this.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Ryoma on October 20, 2021, 08:15:00 AM
My opinion is : Zapper choose the color and we deal with. It will be a new challenge .
Zapper raised the issue of the color himself so I'm just trying to help to make a great car even better.
I love the look of the lime green version.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts or 4D Sports Driving.

KyLiE

Zapper, I know that the lime yellow instruments are unique to the JPE edition and that you were trying to recreate it in Stunts as accurately as possible.  I don't mind the original colour scheme, but I admit that the needles are a little difficult to see.  My suggestion was based on the idea that if you're going to change the colour scheme to improve visibility, then simply use the most contrasting colours that also look appealing.  Otherwise, leave it as is in the name of accuracy.

In saying that, in the attached photo, the instruments look quite close to lime green anyway.

Cas

One of the ideas Daniel3D gave me that I'm still pending to work on is a method for easily changing the needle colour. For what I've been looking at, it shouldn't be hard. I would change a little piece of the game's code that maybe won't even require recompilation (could be just a patch in the binary file) and that would result in one of the currently useless parameters in the CAR*.RES file becoming the needle colour. If there is interest, I can work on this.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Zapper

Quote from: Cas on October 21, 2021, 07:49:19 AM
One of the ideas Daniel3D gave me that I'm still pending to work on is a method for easily changing the needle colour. For what I've been looking at, it shouldn't be hard. I would change a little piece of the game's code that maybe won't even require recompilation (could be just a patch in the binary file) and that would result in one of the currently useless parameters in the CAR*.RES file becoming the needle colour. If there is interest, I can work on this.

Cas, you are finding the lights here!
I had lost some hope (and time on testing like Ryoma did and described on http://forum.stunts.hu/index.php?topic=3810.0) on getting a customized needle colour for some time...