News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Driving school refresh

Started by dreadnaut, September 22, 2023, 09:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreadnaut

I'd like to archive the historical driving school, and replace it with something more modern.

What would people, in particular amateurs and recent joiners like our DosGameClub friends, like to see?

Here's a list of possible topics I compiled a decade ago 😅

alanrotoi

I wanted to make a tricks video. I made a lot of tricks (about 30?) but I have no time for a good edit. Also there are some tricks to be filmed yet.

Erik Barros

The driving school helped me a lot when I entered the community, it was the first place where I tried to understand the tricks. Having video examples would certainly be of great value for those just starting out. Searching the articles there are also very good tips, but you need to take a shovel and pickaxe. The stunts academy videos are also worth their weight in gold, understanding the fundamentals of acceleration, braking, gear changing, cornering in the game is very important.

Erik Barros

I have a suggestion, create lessons that involve everything from basic aspects such as cornering, changing gears efficiently, contemplating speedups, and tricks. Each lesson comes with an example video (or gif) and a track designed to practice the lesson. I think that more experienced pilots can spend time on this lesson track and give tips to the pro and leave the time available for reference for whoever is training.

Erik Barros

I made an example sketch, I apologize as my web skills are very limited and I just wanted to show a quick sketch. I copied the CCC page which was easier for me to understand and change with notepad.

https://aerikbarros.github.io/stmockup/

alanrotoi

I like it! A leveling up system, a filling process would be interesting using different tracks and cars.

Duplode

Nice mockup! It would go super well with, for instance, the exercises from Overdrijf's videos.

dreadnaut

Quote from: Erik Barros on October 06, 2023, 03:30:47 AMI have a suggestion, create lessons that involve everything from basic aspects such as cornering, changing gears efficiently, contemplating speedups, and tricks. Each lesson comes with an example video (or gif) and a track designed to practice the lesson. I think that more experienced pilots can spend time on this lesson track and give tips to the pro and leave the time available for reference for whoever is training.

That would be great: I like the very brief video + text explaining what to do + track to try

Erik Barros

Taking advantage of @alanrotoi suggestion, perhaps a mini game version too, would it be possible to have a system that, in order to move to the next level, have to load a replay with a time equal to or less than the given time? Like it's a time attack

alanrotoi

Or a video in youtube just to make it easy and faster for the user.

dreadnaut

I would prefer a brief, looping gif / mp4 video embedded in the page: it can have more instructions and images around, instead of all the 💩 that Youtube pushes on people, and no "and now watch this completely unrelated stuff!"

Let's say there's a number of "lessons" like the one Erik produced. Each has:
- summary
- looping video
- other instructions
- "homework" track + sample replay

There's a lower production cost compared to longer YouTube videos and they can be independent, so anyone can produce one. We make them available from an index, grouped by difficulty or topic.

Cas

That sounds really good!  And I agree that it's more independent that way than using YouTube :)
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

dreadnaut

Quote from: Cas on October 07, 2023, 10:38:01 PMThat sounds really good!  And I agree that it's more independent that way than using YouTube :)

Oh, I meant independent from each other, not part of a series or a regular schedule. But that's also a good point — one day YouTube might be gone, but ZakStunts will still be here ;D