News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Flaming Exhaust - Live race event (2022-07-03)

Started by Overdrijf, June 17, 2022, 08:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frieshansen

alanrotoi

https://youtu.be/eoTcI6XEqAw

Yeah I thought it was a good idea if we're racing with german cars we should have also music from there :)
The previous song is "Legacy" a song from "Full Throttle" game and it was proposed by Cas :D I

Overdrijf

Awesome video!

The racing is surprisingly easy to follow for how little of the screen is actually used for each driver. Another advantage of the simple limited colors false shaded polygon style I suppose. Good design to try out options like that.

I didn't realize how far ahead* I actually was in the early stages of that first race.

One thing I'm only noticing now is that the maps included in the video are the original maps before final modifications. That's not really a complaint**, I like those maps, but it is a fun thing to notice.

*Ignoring my blatant cheating of using way too much time for resetting.
**And even if it was, you'll always keep finding things like that on a project with this kind of complexity.

alanrotoi

Thanks! Yes you were leading almost the first half of the race, about 4 minutes.

I would add a "Man of the race" and/or "Man of the Event" price for live events. Everybody, pipsqueaks and spectator, would vote for the MoR or MoE and give the reasons and feedback. For example, for the 1st race I would vote Duplode because he took the lead at the half of the race and then finished 1st. For the second race I would vote Cas because the duel against Overdrijf. For the Man of the Event would be Overdrijf for being in both duels or KyLiE because he was also fighting two duels, in the 1st race against me and in the second against Duplode.

Duplode

Wow! Great production, Alan! And some very nice racing indeed. I guess Kylie and me would be exchanging positions till the end in the second race, weren't it for a couple silly mistakes and time pressure on my side. (Nice work on that hill cut from you, by the way!)

Overdrijf

By the way, story time.

We had both the tracks ready when Cas started (well, continued) looking for a name and logo that would tie the tracks together. For the Alan Parson's Project track he was (of course) thinking of something with music, and just in general because it's a race event he was thinking something like lightning, or rockets, or something else cool. The only music I could really connect to The Journey was road music, like born to be wild, route 66, rock and roll means always on the road kind of stuff. One song in particular stuck out, being as the map is the Netherlands, a Dutch trucker song called (translated) "with the flame in the pipe".

It's not at all a cool racing song (I'm very happy with the song selection for the video), which is why we didn't make the link explicit coming up to the event, but that's where the Flaming Exhaust name initially came from. Pixelarting a logo did the rest.

alanrotoi

I love background stories, they complete the scene :D.

If we make another DTM race I would vote that pilots must choose from the cars they didn't race yet. For example I raced with BMW so I should choose between Audi or Mercedes.

KyLiE

Quote from: alanrotoi on July 11, 2022, 04:52:23 PM
As promised the video of the live race!

Great video!  Thank you for putting it together!  I just want to clarify that my position on the map for the second race is where my replay ended, but I was actually on the banked turn at the 8 minute mark.  I wasn't that far ahead of Duplode!  I'd also like to thank Cas and Overdrijf for organising the event.  It was great fun! :)

alanrotoi

Quote from: KyLiE on July 14, 2022, 08:45:14 PM
Great video!  Thank you for putting it together!  I just want to clarify that my position on the map for the second race is where my replay ended, but I was actually on the banked turn at the 8 minute mark.  I wasn't that far ahead of Duplode!  I'd also like to thank Cas and Overdrijf for organising the event.  It was great fun! :)

Thanks! It has few mistakes. I have to do an errata to be fair.

Your duel against duplode in the second race was awesome and also it was Cas vs Overdrijf. The best is that both were duels between different cars. BMW vs Mercedes and Audi vs BMW. It means how good balanced are DTM cars so this is another reason to thank Overdrijf.

Cas

Hey!  I've taken some time to post here. Busy week!

The video looks really very professional and I too am very happy with the soundtrack. One of the songs, I had the opportunity to choose myself. When Alan asked if I could recommend any songs, I quickly threw a buch that came to my mind, but it was only one of them that Alan decided to use and it's also the one that I chose the most eagerly. I'm talking about "Legacy", by The Gone Jackals. I know the song as the opening theme of the 1990s adventure game Full Throtle.

The making of the event is pretty much like Overdrijf described. Not much I can add. We had to very different and very good ideas and we tried to blend them as well as we could, but at the same time, it's the uniqueness of each track that gives the most value to the personality of the event. It's been a lot of fun to organise it and even more fun to share it with you guys and participate!

Choosing the Man of the Race and Man of the Event sounds great, but I think I have to sit and watch each race more closely and paying special attention to each pipsqueak individually before choosing.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.