News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

11 - Chicane - Ferrari Frenzy

Started by Daniel3D, November 06, 2022, 08:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel3D

Last race of the season and it is going to be a blast.
I selected 7 beautiful Ferrari's from the car collection for you to drive.
With a good track by CAS to go along with it.

The now classic F40 by zapper and the rest of Ryoma. Most have not been tested in competition so well see how they work.

Contrary to my plans for next season, I did select a big carpack.
But I compensated a bit by extending the time with one week.

Competition ends December 4th.. Why? Because it's my Birthday.  8)  8)
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Daniel3D

Alright.
I didn't drive them all yet. But comparing Ryoma's Testarossa and Zapper's F40.
You can clearly feel the difference in the cars. The F40 feels fast and solid, the Testarossa on the other hand is sluggish and slippery. It is a shame that the quality of the model does not translate to the playability of the car.

With many of Ryoma's cars, I get the feeling that he didn't put as much effort in the performance balance and playability as into the model itself. That is not surprising given the speed of his work.
The Testarossa is going to need a tuning in my opinion (although I don't know if it is as bad in manual transmission). The car is an icon and deserves better.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

alanrotoi

I'll try them today. Take in mind that many car designers doesn't care about automatic transmission performance and you can find a non functional car or "at least" a much slower car than with manual transmission.

KyLiE

Quote from: Daniel3D on November 09, 2022, 10:33:53 AMThe F40 feels fast and solid, the Testarossa on the other hand is sluggish and slippery.

In my experience, I would expect these cars to feel that way on a race track in real life.  The F40 is a completely different car to the Testarossa.

That being said, I agree with your comments about Ryoma's work.  Namely, I've found quite a few rough edges with the dashboards.  Things like needles that are abnormally short or mysteriously disappear so that transparency masks don't need to be used, and glitches with the steering wheel animation.  I'm fixing these issues as I try each car, but it's a time-consuming process since I don't have the original source material.

Daniel3D

Please share your fixes. And also which one don't need fixing.
I'm trying to create a collection of the nicest cars of ryoma fixed and tuned for playability.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

alanrotoi

Testarossa is one of those cars that can't stay out of this game so if you'll fix it might be a popular car in the community.

Cas

Hey, nice seeing this old track of mine here :)  I'll try to post a replay at some point. As you know, I'm on a trip in Europe now, so no much time, but we'll see
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

KyLiE

Quote from: Daniel3D on November 10, 2022, 09:05:48 AMPlease share your fixes.

I'm on holiday at the moment, although using that term is a bit of a stretch, so I'll see what I can do next week.  However, with the changes that I've made, I haven't touched the performance to retain replay compatibility.

As we do in Race For Kicks, I recommend that you test each car thoroughly before offering it for use in a competition.

Daniel3D

Quote from: KyLiE on November 10, 2022, 11:25:19 PM
Quote from: Daniel3D on November 10, 2022, 09:05:48 AMPlease share your fixes.

I'm on holiday at the moment, although using that term is a bit of a stretch, so I'll see what I can do next week.  However, with the changes that I've made, I haven't touched the performance to retain replay compatibility.

As we do in Race For Kicks, I recommend that you test each car thoroughly before offering it for use in a competition.
The idea is to field test as many cars as possible. Comparing several cars against each other.
that is also why i work with carpacks. they stay with the replay archive for replay compatibility,
cars that have featured in other competitions will not likely be changed, otherwise rebranded with a new ID.

changing performance is carefully considered and must be to fix a wrong, not about personal taste.
For instance, quite a few have misplaced up and down shift values. Those need to be fixed to balance manual and automatic transmission. Other things are discussed before change.

But for now i am grateful for graphic bug fixes. Performance changes are for a moment in the future. I would like to have more minds in that decision process.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Daniel3D

Quote from: Daniel3D on November 10, 2022, 11:40:25 PMBut for now i am grateful for graphic bug fixes. Performance changes are for a moment in the future. I would like to have more minds in that decision process.
Ryoma made a lot beautiful cars in a short time. Some things he did very detailed and with care. Some things he rushed. But to change somebody else his work to improve it is in my opinion necessary to get better cars but also not taken lightly.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

KyLiE

alanrotoi

Hey I love the design of the site. I think I have stuff to share.

KyLiE

Quote from: alanrotoi on November 15, 2022, 07:20:28 PMHey I love the design of the site.

Thanks! :) I actually just added an icon to identify which cars have graphical improvements since I'm guessing those are the ones that most people will be interested in.

alanrotoi

Did you race this track in the World Stunts Meeting 2022, isn't it?

Daniel3D

Yes we did. It was fun to discuss the track with a person actually in the same room while driving.
I have not been able to do that for at least 25 years.
And although it seems trivial, i really liked it.

For the world STUNTS meeting next year i think we should do a live race knockout competition. 8)
Edison once said,
---------
---------