News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts VR (Virtual Reality)

Started by Erik Barros, April 18, 2023, 04:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erik Barros

I'll share an experiment I performed where it's possible to play stunts in a VR headset. Basically you need a computer, a cell phone (in my case I use android) and Google Carboard style glasses. These glasses use the cell phone as a VR display, I have a very basic and cheap model. The magic is in an application called Trinus (https://trinusvirtualreality.com/), it transmits the image from the computer to the cell phone via network or USB cable. I'm attaching photos of the result, if anyone wants to test it and has any questions just ask me.

Erik Barros

This is the model of glasses I have

alanrotoi

GTAManRCR

Hope you can port the controls to make Stunts compatible with it, so can control with the VR controller
Hejj bicska, bicska, bicska csantavéri kisbicska!

Cas

What I was mentioning in the Telegram group about this is that, with some work, not terribly hard, I can make my engine draw two images at a time on the screen instead of one, with a slight horizontal offset. This would allow whatever method of taking this to 3D. Of course, right now, we can't play Stunts through my engine, but we can reproduce races, so it'd be interesting to try. I don't know how to interface actual 3D goggles, but I could leave that part up to you.

This particular implementation, which includes a cell phone and Google, is not for me, but I figure other things can be done. Some large cardboard thing with lenses to hold to the monitor?  Ha, ha.... Who knows!  It would also be much more work, but technically, I could create anaglyphic images from this, for red-cyan glasses. Anyway, all this is work and would take time.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Erik Barros

Quote from: GTAManRCR on April 18, 2023, 05:32:35 AMHope you can port the controls to make Stunts compatible with it, so can control with the VR controller

I believe that the joystick is bluetooth, if it is paired on the computer it should work. @Frieshansen is the Jedi Master of the joysticks.

Erik Barros

Quote from: Cas on April 18, 2023, 08:23:31 PMWhat I was mentioning in the Telegram group about this is that, with some work, not terribly hard, I can make my engine draw two images at a time on the screen instead of one, with a slight horizontal offset. This would allow whatever method of taking this to 3D. Of course, right now, we can't play Stunts through my engine, but we can reproduce races, so it'd be interesting to try. I don't know how to interface actual 3D goggles, but I could leave that part up to you.

This particular implementation, which includes a cell phone and Google, is not for me, but I figure other things can be done. Some large cardboard thing with lenses to hold to the monitor?  Ha, ha.... Who knows!  It would also be much more work, but technically, I could create anaglyphic images from this, for red-cyan glasses. Anyway, all this is work and would take time.

In the past, I thought about creating a display with lenses, but I found this solution of mirroring the image on my cell phone and it worked well. YouTube has some 3D videos that are side by side, on the platform itself it allows you to change the view to glasses. I would be happy to take the tests if you are interested in developing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZaXW4VQ4tY

Erik Barros

Quote from: Cas on April 18, 2023, 08:23:31 PMWhat I was mentioning in the Telegram group about this is that, with some work, not terribly hard, I can make my engine draw two images at a time on the screen instead of one, with a slight horizontal offset. This would allow whatever method of taking this to 3D. Of course, right now, we can't play Stunts through my engine, but we can reproduce races, so it'd be interesting to try. I don't know how to interface actual 3D goggles, but I could leave that part up to you.

It works, I played a demo video from youtube, it has a separate control for the two images, when I hit the overlay it goes to 3D

Cas

I can view these things by crossing eyes and sitting far from the monitor, but it's a little uncomfortable and when it's calibrated the other way (for split eyes), it looks weird. Anaglyphs sacrifice colour, but are easier to render and view. I'll try to dedicate some time to doing some of this.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.