News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

stunts.hu landing page

Started by Overdrijf, May 26, 2023, 05:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overdrijf

I posted this in the Zakstunts shoutbox, but I guess here is better.

I'm going to hopefully be sending some people to the community soon. I can give them exactly one link. (And it's on paper rather than digital, so it has to be a simple link.) The obvious choice is Stunts.hu. The design is a little "time capsule", but it links the forum, the wiki and the active competitions. Is there a possibility of maybe getting the Youtube channel somewhere on there as well? And is there anything else worth considering?

Is that page even sort of community controlled like Zakstunts? Or is it still Zak's baby, as the copyright notice suggests?

alanrotoi

Daniel3D

Adding the youtube channel and removing the chat (its not used enough to be still there)
moving inactive competitions to an archive page may also help to give it a cleaner look.
thus. i think, changing the chat link to inactive competitions. and the space that comes available can be used for the youtube channel promotion, and maybe views of one or more of the academy videos.
somewhere a "random trivia" that never changes,. "In 2022 a staggering number of xN replays were entered in the competitions, and we are well on the way of topping that this year"   8)  to show we are far from dead...

Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Cas

I think it all can fit there. It's just a matter of sorting things. I like what it looks like now, but maybe yes, we could study what would be the best way to make stunts.hu catch as much fish as possible, because that'd be the purpose of a main portal.

The chat is still in good use, just not permanent use. We do use it a lot for live races. We've been discussing this in the past, but I think I'll make a new thread about the specific problem there because I'm interested in helping there.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Overdrijf

I'm starting the hopefully sending over on June 3rd, by the way.

So yeah, I might have been a bit late in posting this.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Cas on May 26, 2023, 10:49:19 PMThe chat is still in good use, just not permanent use. We do use it a lot for live races.
True, but the link on ZakStunts is sufficient for that purpose. It confusing on the portal because it raises the expectations of heavy usage.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

dreadnaut

I've replaced the link to the chat with one pointing to the youtube channel for the moment.

Quote from: Overdrijf on May 26, 2023, 05:59:11 PMAnd it's on paper rather than digital, so it has to be a simple link.

Curious, tell us more!

@Daniel3D, could you prepare an updated description for CCC? Want to add No-Time Travel as well?

Daniel3D

Quote from: dreadnaut on May 28, 2023, 10:48:14 AMI've replaced the link to the chat with one pointing to the youtube channel for the moment.

Quote from: Overdrijf on May 26, 2023, 05:59:11 PMAnd it's on paper rather than digital, so it has to be a simple link.

Curious, tell us more!

@Daniel3D, could you prepare an updated description for CCC? Want to add No-Time Travel as well?
That's a good idea.
I'll prepare that tonight. When I setup the new race for tomorrow.
I would love to add No Time Travel as well.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Overdrijf

Quote from: dreadnaut on May 28, 2023, 10:48:14 AMCurious, tell us more!

I made a topic about it in the custom car forum before, Stunts is going to be in a museum, as part of a temporary exhibition. It's a Dutch museum about the DAF car/truck brand. The game is a fully playable modded version featuring one of their cars. (Yes, a version of that car is coming to the community as well eventually. The game in the museum also contains another trick I had been wanting to try for a while.) I get to do a little community promoting in the description of the exhibit, so that's the story behind this topic.

Cas

@dreadnaut, now that you're working on the portal, I think it could be time I inject that code in R4K so it passes the info to the Stunts portal and we can see what the current race is, time left, etc. I'll PM you about that.

dreadnaut

One step ahead: we have some rough support for showing events from different competitions on the portal, all in one place. (see thread)

Competition managers: I put some sample code to automatically submit events on BitBucket. Alternatively, someone could build a small HTML page to add events manually. You can submit data with a form, but you need to add security headers, see docs on BitBucket. Probably a job for Fetch and Headers.

Wiki experts: what do you think of adding a Competitions category to the wiki? We could move the historical data in there, all details are exposed via /api/competitions:

- https://stunts.hu/api/competitions?status=all
- documentation

Cas

For completeness, although this has already been discussed in the other thread:

R4K already has the interface with the Portal. It has been tested and appears to work well. I'd like to make another test when our current race ends and when we schedule the next one, but it should be fine. If all that works well, our tournament is already fully compliant.

dreadnaut

Quote from: Daniel3D on June 19, 2023, 10:56:18 AMTwo things I am missing in the competition's (not relevant to ZakStunts) is, the car(s) allowed and the description text (or part of it).

Yes, I'll probably reintroduce the competition description as a "static" message that doesn't need an update every year. For cars, I've considered a few options and decided to leave that out:

- 4-letter car codes? too obscure
- car icons? no way with so many custom cars
- car names? again too many cars to maintain have a common table of names, so they would need to be supplied by the competition, and naming conventions would likely vary

Fot the moment, I think I prefer to leave that information to the competition own pages.

Duplode

Quote from: dreadnaut on June 17, 2023, 02:25:33 PMWiki experts: what do you think of adding a Competitions category to the wiki? We could move the historical data in there, all details are exposed via /api/competitions:

The Wiki has a reasonably well populated Competitions category. Are you thinking of pulling data from the API to populate infoboxes and such using something like Extension:External Data, or of something more expansive?

On extra information, I was going to say that one thing I was missing a bit was the summary of the rules, and that adding back the descriptions would largely cover it. Now I see you have added back the descriptions, and the rules are indeed covered  :)

Daniel3D

Quote from: dreadnaut on June 19, 2023, 06:28:09 PMFor cars, I've considered a few options and decided to leave that out:

- 4-letter car codes? too obscure
- car icons? no way with so many custom cars
- car names? again too many cars to maintain have a common table of names,
That is a good point.
I was thinking about an open field, set by the competition manager.
But in the line that I use at NTT.
Car name as link to the Wiki and the ID.
For visual purposes I can accept using a standard line like "variable carpacks" for CCC.
Edison once said,
---------
---------