News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Combining two tracks into one

Started by mrdries, May 27, 2023, 11:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

@mrdries Layout-wise, I was thinking more of a loose adaptation, with the usual liberties taken to fit the constraints of Stunts -- only with a cooler rendering of the tunnels and bridge on the "southwestern" part of the track.

mrdries

Yeah, it's actually a very good idea to do it as such. Especially for races without a powergear. And the race track elements could be reused for other tracks. Though it is a significant amount of work. I was too hasty.

dukeofurl

I did not check out this thread until now, but the example combined track pieces are really cool!  I love this!  Adds a cool new dimension to the game.

Cas

Well, combining elements will require a new engine, but the idea of playing two tracks at once is possible now... or kind of. All you have to do is build the two tracks and then play on one, then copy your replay and on the new file, replace the track with the second one and then play it and you only win if you do it on both replays. After that, the two videos could be played together in parallel.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

dukeofurl

Is it possible to race against your own replay in Stunts (in one instance of the game), like racing against a ghost in a modern pipsqueak?  I think the answer is no, but I've been out of the loop for a few decades and maybe the community knows something I don't.

Daniel3D

Quote from: dukeofurl on December 27, 2023, 11:36:45 PMIs it possible to race against your own replay in Stunts (in one instance of the game), like racing against a ghost in a modern pipsqueak?  I think the answer is no, but I've been out of the loop for a few decades and maybe the community knows something I don't.
The answer is more complicated than that.
In the current game it is not possible.

But.

If we use a similar method to the multiplayer mod it might be possible.
But collision will be a problem.
Using CAS his graphics engine it might be possible to make a overlay..
Or ghost opponent..
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Cas

Right. In all cases, you would need to mod something. If you were able to channel the input from a previously saved replay to the opponent, you'd first have the problem that the opponent starts at a position different from the one at which the player starts and if you force it to be the same, you'd have instant collision. So say you were able to disable car-car collision, which probably isn't as complicated as it sounds, then yes, the original engine could allow you to play against your ghost.

Now, as Daniel3D pointed out, if what you want is to see your several replays playing together, you can channel them through my graphics engine and that is already feasible.

Duplode

Preventing collisions might be the easier part here: I suspect zeroing out the car-car collision dimensions in the RES file would be enough. (If you try that in a normal race against an AI opponent it doesn't really work because the AI still tries to avoid your car, but that wouldn't be an issue in this scenario.)

By the way, here is the multiplayer mod mentioned by Daniel.

Cas

Being able to easily play against your previous self would help a lot in trying to improve a lap!