News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Problem with creating Cybertruck. Crashes on start of race. [FIXED]

Started by desktopsimmer, November 26, 2023, 05:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desktopsimmer

First post, better get it right :)

I'm creating Tesla's Cybertruck. The model is mine, exported from Blender as an .obj model and Imported into Carworks 1.1. I've "borrowed" the existing Dash from another car. I've been a bit creative with the car parameters file. however when I start racing the car, it instantly turns into a ball of flames.

Things I have tried to resolve the issue:
Resize the car, resized the wheels, altered some of the parameters that I think could cause it to crash. but I can't think what causing it to crash.

Duplode

Hello and welcome, @desktopsimmer ! Brilliant to see the Stunts Cybertruck finally becoming a thing  :D

On the instant crash, my first guess is an issue with the physical wheel coordinates in the CARCTRK.RES file. If the coordinates of the four wheels don't add up to zero, the car starts moving and rotating on its own, which might lead to a crash against the ground. If you attach the file here, we can have a look at it to confirm if that's actually happening.

Daniel3D

I think that it should have crashed in the showroom if that was the case. I guess that the information contained in the res file with regards to the dashboard are missing.
A quick test could be (making a backup then) copy the res file from the dashboard you borrowed and rename it to the Tesla ID you picked.
And try again.
If it works just adjust te car parameters to the Tesla and you should be fine.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

desktopsimmer

Thanks @Duplode and @Daniel3D I've noticed one thing in Stressed, that the coordinates of the same wheel differ between the car models, even though they are copies of the same model. The copy was done in CarWorks.

I'll try cloning a Working car, and tweak the res file as I go alone.

Overdrijf

Quote from: desktopsimmer on November 26, 2023, 07:53:20 PMThanks @Duplode and @Daniel3D I've noticed one thing in Stressed, that the coordinates of the same wheel differ between the car models, even though they are copies of the same model. The copy was done in CarWorks.

I'll try cloning a Working car, and tweak the res file as I go alone.

The Stressed wheel coördinates are weird, but are not what's going to cause this issue. (If you want to test for that combine your graphical file with an unmodified .res from another car.) I think Duplode is correct, this is about the wheel coördinates in the .res file.

See here: https://wiki.stunts.hu/wiki/Car_parameters#Wheel_coordinates

As far as I know they can't even be properly modded using the user friendly modern editor Carworks yet, but the DOS based Car Blaster works.

Quote from: Daniel3D on November 26, 2023, 06:49:31 PMI think that it should have crashed in the showroom if that was the case.
The showroom doesn't have physics. The car I discovered the roof of the world with by falling through the floor had bad wheel coördinates.

QuoteI guess that the information contained in the res file with regards to the dashboard are missing.
A quick test could be (making a backup then) copy the res file from the dashboard you borrowed and rename it to the Tesla ID you picked.
And try again.
An interesting option. I wouldn't expect quite this bad a crash in that case, but then again I don't think I've ever tried completely removing that information.

Edit: as for the Stressed wheel coördinates: I think it's even inconsistent between original cars, which order the coördinates for each wheel go in. It's certainly inconsistent between wheels in the same model, but there is usually order to the madness. The only thing I'm sure of is that the explanation on the wiki is wrong. I now try to stick to the same order of coördinates for every car. I don't know which car I originally got is off, but I think it was the Audi, because that served as a sort of basis for the DTM cars.

desktopsimmer

Quote from: Daniel3D on November 26, 2023, 06:49:31 PMI think that it should have crashed in the showroom if that was the case. I guess that the information contained in the res file with regards to the dashboard are missing.
And try again.

Thanks @Daniel3D  I've copied from the "Vett" RES and PVS files and it's worked. One thing I've noticed that I didn't see in the original files in CarWorks is the Circle and 4 dots in the image attached, or any way to alter them. I've Saved these files and hope to proceed with creating a Cybertruck dash.

The biggest challenge will be an get it run as a "single" gear vehicle?

Daniel3D

A single gear car is tricky to get performance wise right.
I have experimented a little with it and you could try the following.

Make a 2 gear setup for "neutral" and "drive" .
That can help get the car going and makes the gearbox animation appear.
Use high RPM, that should give enough power and makes a more electric sound.

Edison once said,
---------
---------

Overdrijf

Single gear car example, post #16.

You might have to make the car lighter than realistic in order to get the acceleration you want, but weight only really interacts with the torque curve, not with cornering and such, so it won't impact the feel of the car.

Duplode

Quote from: desktopsimmer on November 26, 2023, 08:21:35 PMOne thing I've noticed that I didn't see in the original files in CarWorks is the Circle and 4 dots in the image attached, or any way to alter them. I've Saved these files and hope to proceed with creating a Cybertruck dash.

IIRC, while you can edit the values directly, there are commands to fit the physical bounding boxes to the graphical model -- could you fill in the details, @Cas ?

KyLiE

Welcome @desktopsimmer! :)

Quote from: desktopsimmer on November 26, 2023, 07:53:20 PMthe coordinates of the same wheel differ between the car models

That's because the different car models serve different purposes, and therefore the coordinates are stored differently:

• car0 is used for the showroom.  It has the highest detail and is a different scale to the other models.
  • car1 is used in-game for the high detail graphics mode.
  • car2 is used in-game for long draw distances and the low detail graphics mode.

If you have a look at one of the original cars in stressed, you'll see what I mean.  CarWorks copies the same model to all three resources for simplicity.  Since most people aren't running Stunts on a 286, using lower detail models for car1 and car2 isn't really necessary.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Duplode on November 26, 2023, 11:21:39 PM
Quote from: desktopsimmer on November 26, 2023, 08:21:35 PMOne thing I've noticed that I didn't see in the original files in CarWorks is the Circle and 4 dots in the image attached, or any way to alter them. I've Saved these files and hope to proceed with creating a Cybertruck dash.

IIRC, while you can edit the values directly, there are commands to fit the physical bounding boxes to the graphical model -- could you fill in the details, @Cas ?
There is a short key in the model view that sets the bounding box. Don't know it from memory but it's in the manual text.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Overdrijf

Oh, that's what you meant. You can ignore what I said about the wheel coördinates then. They're weird in more ways then one.  ;)

desktopsimmer

I've tweaked the wheel locations in the "configuration", and the model is going to have some tweaks to it, lights and minor additions. The single gears is proving fun, in order to keep it so some form of "Similar" performance. Hopefully will have updates tomorrow.

Daniel3D

Edison once said,
---------
---------

Cas

Sorry to answer late, but here I go...

Like Mark said, the P3S/3SH file of a car contains three models and each can, in theory, be completely independent and entirely different from the other two, but Stunts uses these models for different things (showroom, game and race intro), so it makes sense for the first model to be more detailed than the second, which should in turn be more detailed than the third.

When creating a new car, though, since we're in 2023 and computers are extremely fast, it's reasonable to just make one design and scale it. There are still reasons why you would want to manually modify some model, but CarWorks makes things quick for you and you can just clone the model, which will be auto-scaled.

What you see in green in CarWorks exists in the 3SH file, including the wheels. Here, the wheels are primitives just like any other. The orange objects are defined by parameters in the RES file, though. These are physics objects, not graphical, but are drawn in the 3D section of CarWorks because they are three-dimensional. The circle corresponds to the distance of car-car interaction, the box is for car-environment collision and the dots define the physical wheel position, which is taken into account when the car lands or as it rolls in the air. CarWorks will try to adjust these to your 3D graphics model as well as possible, but the resolution of these physical objects is not very high and besides, they are always centred at the origin, whereas the graphical car model does not need to.

In the 3D editing section, pressing Ctrl+B wil automatically regenerate the physical objects. As of the current version, CarWorks does not include an option to manually edit the values, but you can see what it gives you. The 3D part of CarWorks is the one that's the most buggy and underdeveloped and I've been thinking of rewriting it for quite some time.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the title of the ZCT269 track, from ZakStunts season 2023?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview