News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Christmas special event | Kevin's Gifts

Started by Daniel3D, December 14, 2023, 10:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel3D

Quote from: Spoonboy on December 30, 2023, 12:42:09 PMThis is frustrating, as I've been working hard to improve my (already correctly driven) laps!
I read and understood the rules, which I think are stated clearly. I'm surprised that seasoned veterans of the various Stunts races have missed such details. It was awareness that there were subtle differences between the CCC rules and other races, that made me double check these rules.

However, it is what it is.
Like in many other races, it is a chance to adapt and improve further!
(Though I have a replay you may wish to see, that I'll share after the race is over  ;))
I choose this because it is the less frustrating solution. But I was a bit disappointed to see a base rule forgotten by so many..
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Spoonboy

Me too. At least the issue is at the end of the track, and I am happy with the laps I am currently working on.

Really enjoying this track, and the unique challenge of CCC! Comparing all the cars on the same lap is challenging and not something I would normally try.
Only now realising how much I like the Lancia!  ;D

alanrotoi

Yeah! Lancia is one of my favourites too. I think Porsche 962 would be in the first place.

Spoonboy

Quote from: alanrotoi on December 30, 2023, 05:33:05 PMYeah! Lancia is one of my favourites too. I think Porsche 962 would be in the first place.

@alanrotoi I like the P962/JAG too.
Speed and style - just like the F40! Hint hint for 2024 races...😉

Daniel3D

Hi guys,

The CCC site is still in development. And for the current race some changes are implemented.
Duplode is working on new scoreboard features and I wanted to share the progress with you.

The site was updated during the switch of the year.
You can now see:
Who has the best times per car (highlights behind the players)
And adjusted lap times according modification discussed in This topic
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Duplode

A few words on the adjusted lap times: as Daniel mentioned, we're using the Magic Lamp percentages for PG cars. For the other cars, the values have been estimated using past ZakStunts races:

LM02    30
PC04    25
COUN    23
LANC    20
AUDI    18
JAGU    1
P962    0

There is no pretense of these being the definitive values for a set of balanced bonuses. We'll hopefully get to refine them over time with further experiments and analysis, and giving them visibility on a real scoreboard might well help with that.

Mark Nailwood

I'm fine with the modified rules for this race. As @Cas mentioned, the issue is at the very end of the lap, and it's easy for the ones who followed the original rule to post an updated replay that should automatically replace the previous one.

Quote from: Erik Barros on December 27, 2023, 06:10:48 PMHey @Mark Nailwood , thanks for the warning, in fact I checked @Duplode replay yesterday and noticed that he slowed down at the finish line, I thought it was strange and went to confirm the rules. I have already participated in previous editions and never paid attention to passing through the banner, if there were valid laps it was due to pure luck. You did very good laps with all the cars, what did you think of this version of the modified cars? @Daniel3D did a great job with this pack.
@Erik Barros - Yes, I really like the driving experience with these cars, and I would not even be able to tell you which is my favourite one. Well, for me in my early Stunts days, it was fun to discover the PG "feature" and the things that it made possible (wide jumps, driving over grass and water, ...). And I will never call it a "bug", as there are so many other "not so realistic" driving effects which contribute to the magic of this game ;D . But in a contest like this, it's completely fine for me to have it disabled, unless there is a track specifically created for PG cars where PG would be obviously needed for passing certain segments.

Spoonboy

What an epic race!
Really enjoyed the format and the track. Having to get perfect laps with 12 different cars was the biggest Stunts challenge I've yet undertaken. I learnt a lot about these cars.
Thanks to @Daniel3D for the race, to @alanrotoi for the great track, and to all the competitors. Congrats to @Mark Nailwood and @Erik Barros!
Looking forward to more CCC action in the future.
I'm exhausted!  ;)  :P

Mark Nailwood

Thanks @Spoonboy, and congrats for your fastest lap of all with the Indy. 8)
Of course, also congrats to @Erik Barros for the second place on the podium. When looking at your constant performance on ZakStunts during the 2023 season, I think you will also easily keep the lead on the amateur board in 2024. :)

This race was my first participation in the CCC contest, and for me it was a great way of re-learning some of my skills from more than 2 decades ago with the fast cars. Maybe I will not have so much for perfecting my replays in the next CCC races, but I'll definitely take part in these, and also on ZakStunts, of course. Looking forward to the new season!

alanrotoi

What an epic race! This Christmas Special was well spotted by Daniel3D just after our Stunts Community's "Champions League" (ZakStunts) season 2023 ended. It was special because Daniel
"fixed" all the original cars taking away the possibility of reaching Power Gear wich is a bug according to the lead programmer of Stunts, Kevin Pickell (what a fortuitous and happy bug, by the way!). Anyway this time Daniel worked hard in every original car to take us to the Elseworld without Power Gear. He also fixed the Anti-PG effect that Lamborghini Countach had.

Once all the cars normalized we had a race in the track Kevin!! The rules were the same as always but one of them we all forgot until Mark Nailwood noticed that: The finish line is also a checkpoint. His Stunts Legend status allowed him to see what the rest didn't. After several
replays sent without this rule Daniel decided to relax and make a Christmas exeption: fly over the finish is tolerated...

The race was very busy, in fact at least 126 laps were performed by 7 pipsqueaks. Mark Nailwood took the lead with all cars leaving behind names like Duplode, Erik Barros, Cas, Spoonboy, Alan Rotoi and Shoegazing Leo. The last 24 hours of the event were the busiest: "more than 50 replays" said astonished Daniel. He found in the inbox more replays from Mark Naiwood and from Duplode but also from Spoonboy who took the lead of the entire race with the Porsche March INDY that allowed him to obtain the Bronze! But Mark Nailwood won the race because he led the race with more cars: Jaguar, Ferrari GTO, Audi, Acura and Porsche Carrera. What a streak!! Erik Barros reached the
second place with the best lap of Lamborghini Countach (happily without anti-pg), Duplode led with Porsche 962 and Lancia and Alan Rotoi led the Lamborghini LM-002 list. Cas and Leo obtained the same points but the Brazilian raced with all the cars, just like the top 3.

The success of this event shows there is room for a second season in Custom Cars Championship.

Spoonboy

Quote from: alanrotoi on January 08, 2024, 11:38:31 PMThe rules were the same as always but one of them we all forgot until Mark Nailwood noticed that: The finish line is also a checkpoint.

Well, we didn't all forget ;)

Quote from: Mark Nailwood on December 27, 2023, 05:21:43 PMI just checked the fastest replays from all current drivers, and only the ones from @Duplode and @Spoonboy are clearly finishing with passing under the banner.

Great roundup, thanks @alanrotoi!

Erik Barros

Thank you for the writeup @alanrotoi, and for the track, the sequence of speedups in the final part was killer.

Thank you @Mark Nailwood, It's an honor to race with you, I got a promotion so I believe you will have a good fight with @Spoonboy this season in the amateur league.

Thank you @Spoonboy, your evolution has been magnificent, it's good to have someone from the same generation of pipsqueaks doing a good job.

Thank you @Daniel3D, was a great race!!

Daniel3D

Thank you all.. it unfortunate that I couldn't be more active on the track myself. But I think that you guys did a marvellous job on this event.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Duplode

It was a very nice event indeed  :)  Congratulations @Mark Nailwood , @Spoonboy and @Erik Barros ! I'll watch your laps later (well, at least some of them -- 126 replays!!). And thanks @alanrotoi for the race report!

Spoonboy

I thought I'd share my favourite solution to the end of the lap. Why go over when you can go around?
I was using it for all fast cars (INDY/P96/JAG) until the rule clarification, as it was much faster than slowing to go under the barrier.
In fact, it was generally only 0.10s slower than the 'over the gate' finish we eventually used.
It required two boosts, one from the island, one from the base of the ramp.
The JAG lap was my top favourite, as it was the only time I remember finishing on two wheels ;-)