News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Paint jobs and their descriptions

Started by Duplode, January 24, 2024, 05:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

In the parent thread, one issue that has come up is how to name and record paint jobs. Here are a few notes on the topic, which might be of some use in figuring out how much will we want to standardise the descriptions.

The original cars span eleven paint jobs, with almost all of them come in light and dark pairs. The table below shows them, along with some plausible single-word fancy names that may or may not be useful to adopt. (Suggestions of nicer or more accurate, fancy names are welcome!)

LightDark
GreySilverGraphite
BlueBlueTurquoise/Aqua
PurpleVioletIndigo
RedRed/ScarletRuby/Carmine
YellowYellowGold
GreenLime

The omission of a darker green was readily rectified by the community (see eg. the "British racing green" Lotus paint job #1), to the point it has pretty much become the 12th car colour. Other examples of custom solid colour paint jobs are:

• Black (eg. Speedgate #1)
  • White (eg. F40 #4)
  • Pink (eg. Thunderbird #1)
  • Beige (eg. 911 Turbo #7)
  • Orange (eg. Skyline #7 -- though note the palette there can be improved a bit)
  • Brown (eg. Torino #1)

Beyond these, we have a plethora of combination paint jobs, which can be described in all sorts of ways: with slashes (eg. BMW DTM #9, Black/Pink/Red), plain descriptions (eg. Melange #3, Yellow with Black Stripes) or fantasy names (eg. Monster Truck #5, The Joker).

Daniel3D

For clarity I would suggest to try to fit them in to these 18 colours plus multi.
Primary colour, secondary colour and a name?
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

dreadnaut

Prior art: ZakStunts own cars.ini, compiled over the years

Daniel3D

Quote from: dreadnaut on January 24, 2024, 08:50:09 PMPrior art: ZakStunts own cars.ini, compiled over the years
Thanks, that is a good list to pounder upon.
I'm still thinking in a system that makes sense and possible to sort or filter.
Noticing that ther are Flag based paint jobs i extended my idea a bit and i will try to make an example..

From the ini:
|DBMW|
long = BMW M3 E30 DTM
short = BMW DTM
colors = White, Black, German Flag, Red, Green, Grey, German Striped, Cyan, Purple Striped

The colour section has different styles.
I was thinking something like::
Number of paint jobs = 9
Colour.1 = 14, White,
Colour.2 = 13, Black,
Colour.3 = 13, 8, 9, German Flag,
Colour.4 = 8, Red,
Colour.5 = 11, Green,
Colour.6 = 2, Grey,
Colour.7 = 13, 8, 9, German Striped,
Colour.8 = 3, Cyan,
Colour.9 = 5, 6, Purple Striped

The colour numbers are an example, based on the post above. Up to 3 colour codes and a name. The colour codes can be translated to an image and used for filtering.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Duplode

Quote from: dreadnaut on January 24, 2024, 08:50:09 PMPrior art: ZakStunts own cars.ini, compiled over the years

This made me notice one aspect I forgot to mention: bodywork configurations :D