News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Wiki Catalogue Of Composite Track Elements

Started by mrdries, March 21, 2024, 04:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdries

Here I kind of tricked Stunts to allow to approach the corkscrew from the other side by using a chicane.
Though you could still go around.

I mean... all the possible combinations... could be close to 100. I have no idea.

You cannot view this attachment.

mrdries

lol..

Cas

That last one is super confusing, ha, ha. Yes, the combinations can be great. Also, Stunts seems to do the rendering and the physics resolution in different ways. Physics is more a tile-by-tile thing. You can see this when you place large objects on water, because the primary tile usually behaves like you would expect, but the other ones don't or vice-versa.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Overdrijf

Okay, now this thread is going some silly places.

mrdries

Quote from: Cas on March 30, 2024, 05:34:50 AMThat last one is super confusing, ha, ha. Yes, the combinations can be great. Also, Stunts seems to do the rendering and the physics resolution in different ways. Physics is more a tile-by-tile thing. You can see this when you place large objects on water, because the primary tile usually behaves like you would expect, but the other ones don't or vice-versa.

It's not totally hopeless though. I can imagine people don't like invisible tunnels all too much.  :)  But I did some tests and depending on where you put a track element on a chicane, it may be rendered much better. I'm not sure you people already know about these things..

These highways are rendered quite well. Because they occupy that spot on the chicane. It's the only spot on the chicane that works. If you move straight towards the track element on the chicane, they are visible. If you move relatively to the right, they are visible too. Only when you move relatively to the left, they become invisible. And that works quite well when driving.

Notice how the highway always occupies the same spot, it's just a rotation.

Works just as well.

When using the mirrored chicane, things are worse. There's only one spot on the chicane that kind of works. It's the same spot but mirrored since the chicane is mirrored.

But the rendering is different. It's the opposite. Only when you move relatively to the left, the track element on the chicane becomes visible.

Not sure this rendering can be improved in any way?

mrdries

So this works. All the ramps are visible.

mrdries

I'll update the wiki later, adding more stuff.

These work too, approaching the helix with a corner, gets it rendered almost flawlessly.
If you'd want to try it out, you will have to erase some finish lines.

On a closer look, they're not all fool proof yet.

If people have done all these things already, please tell me.

Cas

That's really good. These last years, we've been having less "illusion" on racing tracks. Some, yes, but not as frequent as it used to.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

mrdries

Quote from: Cas on April 04, 2024, 11:58:17 PMThat's really good. These last years, we've been having less "illusion" on racing tracks. Some, yes, but not as frequent as it used to.

Well, this is a nice trick. Discovered it by accident.

Duplode

A 100% legal bridge drop! That's really nice! While strictly speaking the track continuity can be achieved without the second cork on the side, by having a regular bridge piece for the third tile drop, I like your solution with the two corks better, as the illusion is smoother: you get to see the bridge continues before reaching the third tile.

alanrotoi

It looks nice! How do you race this element? I can't try now. Could you describe what the car should do?

Duplode

Quote from: alanrotoi on April 06, 2024, 05:04:59 AMIt looks nice! How do you race this element? I can't try now. Could you describe what the car should do?

In effect, it's a straight bridge which drops directly to the ground and is accepted by the game's track validator. The lower cork sets up track continuity, while the upper one provides the final bridge tile.

mrdries

Thanks all.

Stuff like this works too... and driving it is totally confusing!!! :) So bad, yet a bit of fun too.

mrdries

These are rendered much better.

Duplode

Lovely flow of those bridge esses in 28i.trk! @mrdries I think you'll enjoy driving on ZCT273 -- some of the combos are inspired by the catalogue  :)