News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts Online race (2024-06-15)

Started by Duplode, June 10, 2024, 12:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cas

Great that this could be tested and enjoyed :)  I hope I can join next time!  Is there a way to obtain the replays?
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

HunterBoy344

Quote from: Cas on June 15, 2024, 07:34:13 PMGreat that this could be tested and enjoyed :)  I hope I can join next time!  Is there a way to obtain the replays?

Not yet, but definitely a feature I'll add next time!

Spoonboy

What car/cars did you guys use, for reference? :)

Erik Barros

Quote from: Spoonboy on June 16, 2024, 12:14:52 AMWhat car/cars did you guys use, for reference? :)

There were insane laps with the Indy, 10 minutes to race without knowing the track was intense.

Daniel3D

Quote from: HunterBoy344 on June 15, 2024, 07:43:48 PM
Quote from: Cas on June 15, 2024, 07:34:13 PMGreat that this could be tested and enjoyed :)  I hope I can join next time!  Is there a way to obtain the replays?

Since replay files are created while driving, would it be possible to make a tsr that auto saves the replay?
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

HunterBoy344

Quote from: Daniel3D on June 17, 2024, 01:20:21 PM

Since replay files are created while driving, would it be possible to make a tsr that auto saves the replay?

I already have a function in the code to automatically detect scoreboard files and send them to the server, so I can definitely add automatic replay saving as well! I'd just have to modify the existing function (which checks for scoreboard files every second) to check for replay files as well and handle them accordingly. The player would still have to save their replay in game manually, but since all other replay files are cleared at the start of the race, it'll be easy to tell when the player saves their own and automatically download it. I'll work on it today!

Daniel3D

Quote from: HunterBoy344 on June 17, 2024, 03:43:17 PM

I already have a function in the code to automatically detect scoreboard files and send them to the server, so I can definitely add automatic replay saving as well! I'd just have to modify the existing function (which checks for scoreboard files every second) to check for replay files as well and handle them accordingly. The player would still have to save their replay in game manually, but since all other replay files are cleared at the start of the race, it'll be easy to tell when the player saves their own and automatically download it. I'll work on it today!
It's not that easy, the replay file isn't finalised until you manually save it.
You don't have time for that in the setup of the last event.
It's is somewhere in memory so it can be done.
Maybe linking the save replay code to the enter name for the high score part, so it saves a replay whenever you get a high score (so only a NoRH finish) and saves with a timestamp and first part of the player name..
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Duplode

Having to remember to save each improved replay might be a little awkward, but I think it is workable, specially if we assume that the saved replays is a nice-to-have thing rather than the source of truth for the race results (that's the online scoreboard). Besides, it's a solution that's ready at hand, so it could be useful at least until we get over the technical hurdles in the way of, say, hook ing into the Stunts saving code, or reliably dumping the replay data from memory.

Auto-uploading saved replays already gets rid of needing to type the file names to download them at the end of the race, which is at least as inconvenient than saving in-game (and potentially even more so). If the time spent saving is a concern, we might add a minute or so to the round time to cover for that.

HunterBoy344

Quote from: Daniel3D on June 19, 2024, 08:08:13 AM
Quote from: HunterBoy344 on June 17, 2024, 03:43:17 PM

It's not that easy, the replay file isn't finalised until you manually save it.
Maybe linking the save replay code to the enter name for the high score part, so it saves a replay whenever you get a high score (so only a NoRH finish) and saves with a timestamp and first part of the player name..

Oh, I see what you mean, having the replay itself save automatically. I thought you meant automatically downloading a replay when it's saved, which I was able to implement in the client. No idea how to make the game itself save replays at the same time as high scores.

Daniel3D

Quote from: HunterBoy344 on June 19, 2024, 07:52:37 PM
Quote from: Daniel3D on June 19, 2024, 08:08:13 AMIt's not that easy, the replay file isn't finalised until you manually save it.

Oh, I see what you mean, having the replay itself save automatically. I thought you meant automatically downloading a replay when it's saved, which I was able to implement in the client. No idea how to make the game itself save replays at the same time as high scores.
Cas made a call change for the colour needle mod, so I am positive it is possible to do this as well.
But it is not easy.
Edison once said,
---------
---------