News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

I'm not danish

Started by BonzaiJoe, April 29, 2003, 06:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BonzaiJoe

X is x'ian and proud of it. X is happy he's not y'ian. Y'ians aren't as cool as x'ians.
Y is y'ian and proud of it. Y is happy he's not x'ian. X'ians aren't as cool as y'ians.
Etc.
I'm also proud of being human, proud of being male, proud of being right-handed, proud of having green eyes, proud of being heterosexual, proud of being a mammal, etc.

No, to be more serious: nations offer a more full-bodied identity package than the traits I described above. People can quickly fill their lives with meaning by subscribing to a common, cultural identity, such as national identity, instead of developing their own identity and letting their personality roam freely. I am definitely a fan of being myself instead of being a "national" (there's nothing genetic in me that says that I should listen to awful Danish folk music, nor that you should listen to tango). However, I can totally accept if others feel differently. What I can not accept is when people begin to look down on members of other nations or cultures, or stop caring about the well-being of people from other countries. This is nothing but stupid and callous, and a great cause for suffering in the world.
But we can't be quite sure.

Chulk

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on February 06, 2013, 10:56:13 PM
there's nothing genetic in me that says that I should listen to awful Danish folk music
You have a good point there. Then again, human genetics says we should care only about us and kill the weaker ones in order to survive...

Anyway, I get your point and I myself find the whole concept of being a "patriot" stupid too.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

But still: people cheer for their own national / local sport teams. Is it really stupid?

(since I spent more time in Budapest than in Györ, being the fan of ETO is no longer local patriotism :D)

BonzaiJoe

It is quite stupid, but as long as it doesn't turn into hate, I think it's good fun.
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on February 08, 2013, 11:04:37 AM
It is quite stupid, but as long as it doesn't turn into hate, I think it's good fun.

I hate Videoton. But it's not really because they are the enemies of ETO, but because of being pushed by Viktor Orbán.