News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Slow video mgmt

Started by Spoonboy, March 01, 2024, 09:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoonboy

Hi all.
A fellow DOS Game Club member on our irc channel was asking about the "Slow video mgmt on/off" option. Found in Display Options > Change Graphics Level.
I know he runs real hardware (486?) but I'm not sure if he is running Stunts on it in this case.
What does this option do?

In other news, I just tried the game in low (FAST) Graphics mode for the first time  :o  ;D

Cas

I really notice no difference by changing that option. Maybe it's not noticeable unless the computer in question is slow. Could try using fewer cycles in DOSBox. The other options do clearly show a great difference!

I remember I played Stunts on a true 386 and it was completely smooth, but on a 286, you could see it was slower, still playable. On a 486, I couldn't see any difference compared to a 386.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Matei

It probably refers to the level of detail.

https://indiegamesdevel.com/how-lod-systems-work-in-video-games-and-why-they-are-used/

Most likely the authors of the game intended to add the option of displaying more detail in the image, which would have made the rendering slower, to be used on fast enough computers, but in the end they gave up on the idea and just released the game as it was.

Duplode

A very good question! The graphics menu code in Restunts suggests that option toggles a flag which Restunts calls timertestflag. I'm not familiar at all with the rendering code, but apparently that flag is supposed to change some aspects of how graphics are drawn. See e.g. this snippet of ported code, which seemingly deals with using clipping for certain updates. Like @Cas has noted, I haven't noticed any difference in game play by changing the option, be it in the visuals or the performance -- at least not in DOSBox. Maybe it would be worth it to try it in 86Box or an actual DOS, but I wouldn't be surprised if the option turned out to be ineffectual, as @Matei suggests.

Quote from: Spoonboy on March 01, 2024, 09:37:42 PMIn other news, I just tried the game in low (FAST) Graphics mode for the first time  :o  ;D

For the full experience, be sure to cycle through the cameras!  :)

Cas

Right, whatever it does, if it still does it, must have to do with rendering strategies and not with whether to draw something or not, because there is another set of options for the latter that does work.

Daniel3D

Doesn't it just switch between the 10 or 20 cycles per second?
That is what the timertestflag does as well iirc.
Like this piece of assembly code suggests.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Duplode

The graphics menu dialog I linked to above sets three variables. Options 5 and 6 in the switch, which according to the menu order correspond to the mysterious "Slow video mgmt.", set timertestflag; options 7 and 8, corresponding to "[Slow/Fast] Simulation Speed", set framespersec2, the frame rate; and options 0 to 4 (the fall-throughs in the switch) set timertestflag2, the detail level.

Cas

Yes, I can confirm that Simulation Speed changes the frames per second, so Slow video mgmt must do some other thing

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the title of the ZCT269 track, from ZakStunts season 2023?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview