News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Mathematics fun

Started by Krys TOFF, April 28, 2006, 12:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krys TOFF

Following the mathematics discuss on "sports and freetime" topic, let's have some mathematics fun here.

Game 1 :
Take somebody's age (in years, between 1 and 99) => number A
Calculate A*10 => B
Choose a number between 1 and 9 => C
Calculate C*9 => D
Calculate B-D=>E
Tell me your number E, and I'll tell you the age you thought about.

Game 2 :
Take a birth date in full format ddmmyyyy (d=day, m=month and y=year) => A
Reverse the numbers of A => B
Calculate |A-B|=abs(A-B) => C (this means if A-B is under 0, keep the number without the minus part : if A=5 and B=7, A-B=-2 but |A-B|=2)
This C number is composed of 8 figures maximum. Suppress one of these figures and put the remaining figures in any order to form another number.
Tell me this number, and I'll tell you the missing figure.

Example for game 2 :
A=21071970 for me because I was born 21st of July 1970
B=07917012
|A-B|=|21071970-07917012=13161258=C
C figures = 1, 3, 1, 6, 1, 2, 5 and 8.
Imagine I suppress figure 3. It remains 1 1 6 1 2 5 8. I mix it => new number is 8116215.
Tell me 8116215 and I'll tell you that you selected figure 3. I promise.

Now, I wait for your numbers for the 2 games and I'll tell you the answers. :-D

I'll tell you how I do for knowing the answer (mathematics explanation) next week. But before, play these 2 games with me. :wink:
Argammon and Renato, if you already know the way to guess the good results, don't tell it until some members have played the game before.

CTG

Too easy, guy. We had some same level exercises in elementary school math contest at age 10-12.  :-D

Argammon

Yes those are well knowns.Especially the first game.

BonzaiJoe

There is a very simple problem with these games, Krys :D.

Many people here are mathematically educated, like CTG, Argammon, Renato... And so they will easily see through the games, or have known them beforehand. They will not find fun in playing.

Others like me, are humanistically educated, and that's because we hate mathematics :-) So for us, mathematics is the opposite of fun, and we will not have fun playing :-)

So good luck finding someone to play with  :wink:
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

Quote from: "BonzaiJoe"Many people here are mathematically educated, like CTG...

Don't hurt me! My world is chemistry, not math.  :-D

BonzaiJoe

Neither is Argammon's, but they are both based on mathematics. Mine is not...
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

Quote from: "BonzaiJoe"Neither is Argammon's, but they are both based on mathematics. Mine is not...

Poor Bonzai Joe...  :-D

Usrin

OK, here's a number for Game 2: 8810910. I really wonder how you can guess whether the missing figure is 0 or 9. :D

Btw, your example wasn't correct: 21071970-07917012=13154958 (and not 13161258). :!:
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

JTK

Here's my number: 163969. Now I await your answer.  :?

Krys TOFF

Quote from: "Usrin"OK, here's a number for Game 2: 8810910. I really wonder how you can guess whether the missing figure is 0 or 9. :D
Oh, damn ! I forgot to add one point of the rules : you can't select 0 as the suppressed number. :-D
So that's right : missing number is 9 or 0. 50% chance for me... Let's say 9. :lol:

Quote from: "JTK"Here's my number: 163969. Now I await your answer. :?
Missing number is 2. :wink:

Usrin

Quote from: "Krys TOFF"Oh, damn ! I forgot to add one point of the rules : you can't select 0 as the suppressed number. :-D
So that's right : missing number is 9 or 0. 50% chance for me... Let's say 9. :lol:
You bet wrong, it was 0. :-D
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

Krys TOFF

Quote from: "Usrin"
Quote from: "Krys TOFF"Oh, damn ! I forgot to add one point of the rules : you can't select 0 as the suppressed number. :-D
You bet wrong, it was 0. :-D
As I said, it was 50% chance. :wink: