News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Territory dispute from Sports topic

Started by CTG, December 08, 2007, 11:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTG

Kosovo would be just another country beating us in football... ;D (as Montenegro did)

Krys TOFF

There are different kind of countries against Kosovo's independance :
- pro-serbia countries like Russia who were also against Macedonia, Slovenia, Croatia, ... independance some years ago
- ex-USSR countries due to Russia's influence still present (Kazakhstan, Belarus, ...).
- countries that fear that their independentists factions would like to do the same. Examples : Spain, South Africa, Mexico, Ukraine, Bolivia, India, ...
- pure communist countries, always against any kind of freedom (China, Vietnam, ...)
- countries that fear Serbia's anger due to their proximity (Bosnia-Herzegovina mainly, maybe that's the same for Romania)
- others, which are un-explainable to me, like Argentina, Brazil or New-Zealand, ...

Chulk

I don't really know about Argentina's position either. Didn't hear anything on the news regarding that topic so I can't really bring any light on that matter...
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

zaqrack

Quote from: Duplode on February 26, 2008, 12:52:24 AM
Drifting to a related topic, the current state of affairs at Kosovo, there's a very relevant observation. Take a look at this:

Map of Kosovo's current diplomatic status

Notice how Hungary intends to recognise Kosovo, in opposition to Slovakia and Romania. That's quite interesting in the context of the "Greater Hungary" debates around here.

It's because Hungary would probably be very happy to see the Hungarian speaking regions located in Romania, Slovakia and Serbia reaching a status similar to Kosovo, and the neighboring countries dont really want this to happen

BonzaiJoe

Quote from: Krys TOFF on February 26, 2008, 03:45:13 PM
- pro-serbia countries like Russia who were also against Macedonia, Slovenia, Croatia, ... independance some years ago
- ex-USSR countries due to Russia's influence still present (Kazakhstan, Belarus, ...).
- countries that fear that their independentists factions would like to do the same. Examples : Spain, South Africa, Mexico, Ukraine, Bolivia, India, ...
- pure communist countries, always against any kind of freedom (China, Vietnam, ...)
- countries that fear Serbia's anger due to their proximity (Bosnia-Herzegovina mainly, maybe that's the same for Romania)
- others, which are un-explainable to me, like Argentina, Brazil or New-Zealand, ...

It just depends on your ethical viewpoint...
Generally, there are two conflicting moral points:

1. Kosovo deserves independence and a vast majority of Kosovars want it
2. Kosovo independence is a really bad idea for the region and for the world in general
But we can't be quite sure.

Duplode

Quote from: zaqrack on February 26, 2008, 08:38:17 PM
It's because Hungary would probably be very happy to see the Hungarian speaking regions located in Romania, Slovakia and Serbia reaching a status similar to Kosovo, and the neighboring countries dont really want this to happen

Well, so my supposition was right. Though a rather obvious point, it's really stupefying how many, at times very-very distant, countries are led to polarized view about Kosovo due to delicate "internal" issues causing fear of, or desire for, a precedent.

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on February 27, 2008, 01:16:13 AM
Quote from: Krys TOFF on February 26, 2008, 03:45:13 PM

It just depends on your ethical viewpoint...
Generally, there are two conflicting moral points:

1. Kosovo deserves independence and a vast majority of Kosovars want it
2. Kosovo independence is a really bad idea for the region and for the world in general

Spot on... despite all reasons we can surely argue for Kosovo's case, a sudden unilateral declaration right in this geopolitical context (Mr. Putin on his neo-soviet fumes, Montenegro having just split from Serbia, etc.) is quite risky business. Krys commented on Brazil's position; it is not one of straightforward opposition aimed at Kosovo's plans, but rather one of diaspproval of unilateral moves from either part - a position shared by a number of countries.

Chulk

Quote from: Duplode on February 27, 2008, 03:18:39 AM
Krys commented on Brazil's position; it is not one of straightforward opposition aimed at Kosovo's plans, but rather one of diaspproval of unilateral moves from either part - a position shared by a number of countries.
Yes, Argentina as well. I read a few about this on the net and that is why Argentina is against. It's not againts independence declaration, it's more about the way it is obtained.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Krys TOFF

Sure, the way Macedonia got separated from Serbia was peacefull and without any problem. Unlike Kosovo. But problem with Kosovo is that for most Serbian a big part of Kosovo is considered by them as the craddle of Serbian civilization, so that's why they are all the more furious about this independance.