News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R

Started by Duplode, February 20, 2008, 11:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following is the best choice for the Skyline 3D shape?

Corvette ZR1 (similar large proportions;plus it also has characteristic four round taillights)
0 (0%)
Audi Quattro Sport (boxy shape derived from a standard saloon, sorta like the GT-R)
0 (0%)
Honda NSX (a Japanese sport car from the same era...)
2 (66.7%)
Something else
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Duplode

Edit: The first release of this car is already available, at the new cars for 2009 topic.

A couple days ago, there was a small discussion at the "Special Cars in 2008" ZakStunts thread around some comments by Argammon. Although I may have reacted rather badly at the time to those comments, they motivated me to kickstart another tuning project which was lying in my head for a while: coding a new, real car with accurately modeled performance. The chosen vehicle, as you guessed from the title, is the legendary Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R. Reasons for selecting that particular car are various; including, first and foremost, that I am a die-hard Gran Turismo old-schooler  ;) Implied of course is the fact that Gran Turismo 2 is a pretty viable testing plattform... but it goes beyond that. On its era, the R32 GT-R was among the very best, and most advanced, cars of the world. And it is very realistic to think of it as a possible Stunts car, for its release was on 1989! 8) Finally, the Stunts GT-R will be a "slow" custom car with realistic handling and performance, traits not seen so often as vehemently pointed out by Argammon.

Currently, the new car is in alpha-stage development. The difficult part, torque curve and gear ratios, is already finished. Handling still requires some testing, but the intent is to make it moderately above average taking NSX, Carrera and etc. as reference. More details will come when the car is ready for release, but before that I kindly ask your opinion about aesthetics... the dashboard is more or less settled for NSX, since it has a somewhat similar layout to the real thing (see pic below). The real problem is the 3D shape: all options aren't good at all and I can't decide which one is less bad... :-\ So, please vote on the poll above. If you don't remember how does a R32 Skyline look, check the pics below. Thanks and see you soon!

Krys TOFF

I think NSX shape would be the most appropriated. Good luck for your work.

zaqrack

great, I'm really looking forward to this car!

BonzaiJoe

NSX would be closest to those pictures, but the Melange already has NSX shape... I think Audi would be better, but just becaust of that.
But we can't be quite sure.

Chulk

Isn't there any way to convine ZR1's tail light and NSX front? That would fit...
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

Well, now we might be a step closer to Chulk's suggestion...   :)

Anyway, final released is set to an undefined date (currently I'm always lacking either time or disposition to fine tune the dashboard and some other stuff). You can start teasing me should you get no news about it in a month or so, however  ;).

Also, does anybody owns Gran Turismo 3/4 or any other recent simulator with R32 Skylines in it? I would like to ask for cooperation on some sanity checks on the performance data I'm using...

Krys TOFF

Quote from: DuplodeAlso, does anybody owns Gran Turismo 3/4 or any other recent simulator with R32 Skylines in it? I would like to ask for cooperation on some sanity checks on the performance data I'm using...
Sorry, I don't have a PS2 console, so I stayed with GT 1 and 2 on my PS1.
But I'll check if this car is present in Forza (X-Box 1).

Duplode

Quote from: Duplode on March 19, 2008, 11:17:05 PM
Anyway, final released is set to an undefined date (currently I'm always lacking either time or disposition to fine tune the dashboard and some other stuff). You can start teasing me should you get no news about it in a month or so, however  ;).

There is not a single valid word on the above sentences: a lot more than a month has gone by, there is a definite date for a public release (November 30th) and there are really loads of stuff to be fine tuned now we can make use of Stressed... :D Anyway, I reactivate this topic announcing that, with the small issues mentioned on the Dissecting thread solved, the car1 shape of the Skyline is essentially finished - from now on I'll scale it up and start working on car0. I have used 70 polygons for car1, the same number of Audi; therefore, there is no risk of frame rate issues. Stressed screenshots attached - as a publicity stunt, I'll withhold in-game shots for a while... ;D

PS.: Zak, could you please move this topic and the GT3 one to the Car Creation subforum? Thanks in advance.

Duplode

Work on the Skyline remains steady. The first screenshot shows the current car0 working model, which already is reasonably detailed, although it has only 120 polygons (will try to insert some extra details later on). Now I will focus mainly on the dashboard for a while. I tried to start one from scratch, and even found a nice strategy using masks and layers to sculpt it (the set of masks is shown on the second screenshot). However, as my image manipulation skills go, making a pretty dashboard from those elements will take long, so for the moment I'll probably start over and try to make a composite dashboard from elements available elsewhere, as Cody is doing for his Ranger.

cody

looks great, cant wait to drive it. mabey we can make a video of all the new mod cars...

CTG

Quote from: cody on October 30, 2008, 05:31:09 AM
looks great, cant wait to drive it. mabey we can make a video of all the new mod cars...

I think it's more important to complete these cars first: dashboards, "tuning" with CarBlaster... But of course we can collect the OBJ files/pictures about them.

Duplode

Grazie, and I was thinking about a divulgation video as well - YouTube is there to spread the news... ;)

Quote from: CTG on October 30, 2008, 10:32:59 AM
I think it's more important to complete these cars first: dashboards, "tuning" with CarBlaster...

Yes, that's for sure - our machines need to be really well polished for the big show starting on November 30th, especially if it is going to be broadcast all over the Internet  :). I'm somewhat fortunate in that respect, as most of the CarBlaster tuning for the Skyline was already done by early March, so other than adjusting the dashboard parameters in CAR*.RES, only some extra testing and possible last-minute corrections will be necessary. As for the dashboard, I managed to perform the limiting step, namely decomposing the NSX "dash" bitmap into its constituting elements, with less suffering and better results than expected, so I'm pretty optimistic about the progress of this part of the design.

Chulk

Quote from: Duplode on October 31, 2008, 03:14:59 AM
As for the dashboard, I managed to perform the limiting step, namely decomposing the NSX "dash" bitmap into its constituting elements, with less suffering and better results than expected, so I'm pretty optimistic about the progress of this part of the design.
Great news! Will we be able to test it before the contest or are you keeping it top secret?
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Mark L. Rivers

Grazie, and I was thinking about a divulgation video as well - YouTube is there to spread the news... ;)

Well, I could be wrong, but if this is not a real very crypted message, crossed with JacStunts...  8) ;)

Btw, I think I still haven't told you that your Skyline is really very near to the original!  :)

Duplode

Quote from: Mark L. Rivers on October 31, 2008, 09:49:00 AM
Well, I could be wrong, but if this is not a real very crypted message, crossed with JacStunts...  8) ;)

That was mostly subconscious, but still... ;D ;)

Quote from: Chulk on October 31, 2008, 05:51:51 AM
Great news! Will we be able to test it before the contest or are you keeping it top secret?

Well, I would prefer to avoid having to do multiple releases, be in the form of a "preview" intemediate release or as corrections needed on an early "final" release. As I tend to get obsessive with double-checking the smaller details while finishing a project, the final release will be, in all likelihood, quite close to the November 30th deadline. So you can say it's more on the "top secret" side   :)