News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts elements in real life traffic

Started by zaqrack, April 01, 2014, 06:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overdrijf

I mostly can't imagine making that one up. That's too silly. What would have happened there, accelerator stuck or something?

Cas

Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

dreadnaut

dreadnaut

Loop the Loop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiZoVAZGgsw

This makes me wonder: what are the G forces of an Indy / GTO reaching 245mph in a loop? ;D

Cas

Wow!  Amazing! :D
Well, acceleration is v squared by radius, so for 245 mph, which are 394 km/h, that is, 1418.4 m/s, we have a = (1418.4 m/s)^2 / r. If we want g force, we need to divide that by gravity acceleration on the surface of Earth, roughly 9.81 m/s^2, so:

g = (2011858.56 m^2/s^2) / (r * 9.81 m/s^2) = 205082.422 m / r

It still depends on the radius. If you don't want to die, but want to make sure you'll get some grip at the top (since actual tangential speed won't be constant), a maximum of some 6g, like in the video, sounds like a safe bet. To make that g value, you'd need a loop to be some 34 km in radius, ha, ha... That square in V really makes a difference!

With a loop that big, the good thing is that it'd be much easier to drive through it and speed would be a lot more constant than in the video, so g force would also be more stable. Then you can afford a bigger loop to have a lower max g as well. The problem is how you will build such a huge loop strong enough to withstand itself and the car.

Duplode, you're better a math guy than I... Let me know if I'm doing my calculations correctly, ha, ha

Duplode

We gotta divide rather than multiply by 3.6 when converting to m/s. That gives a speed of 109.5 m/s and thus, by the formula above, a (still quite scary!) acceleration in g of 1223m / r.

What is the radius of a Stunts loop, though? Let's stick with the basic conversion factor for the in-game physics: 1 track tile = 1024 3SH units = 205 feet. Like most roller coaster loops, the Stunts loop isn't perfectly circular; however, the upper half is close enough for using the extreme z coordinates (that is, along the direction of the track) for the radius:

That means a radius of 449 3SH units, or 89.89 ft, or 27.40 m. The acceleration, therefore, would be an extreme 44.64 g!

Cas

Absolutely inhuman, ha, ha. Well, I hit some numbers wrong, but I assure you that you need a very large loop still for that speed. If it were possible to build a stable loop big enough, it would be a lot easier to do the stunt.

Daniel3D

So, to get around the more comfortable 6g you would only need ~32 mph to go around the loop i guess.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Duplode

It would be higher than that for 6g -- 89.8 mph -- because centripetal acceleration grows with the square of the speed.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Duplode on April 17, 2024, 12:45:45 PMIt would be higher than that for 6g -- 89.8 mph -- because centripetal acceleration grows with the square of the speed.
That could be an Ultimate Gentlemen Agreement Rule. UGAR.
The looping may not be taken with a speed exceeding 100 mph.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Chulk

Idea for a special event + Alan's custom windshields:

Place a loop as soon as possible in a track, use INDY and keep PG until the end. Windshield has "tunnel vision" as if under the effect of heavy G's. Use as many Mirage elements as possible to further create the illusion of eyesight and consciousness failing.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

alanrotoi

Quote from: Chulk on April 17, 2024, 03:07:15 PMIdea for a special event + Alan's custom windshields:

Place a loop as soon as possible in a track, use INDY and keep PG until the end. Windshield has "tunnel vision" as if under the effect of heavy G's. Use as many Mirage elements as possible to further create the illusion of eyesight and consciousness failing.

Hey that's a good idea! A modification of the "night windshield" is possible like that.

Duplode

Yeah, that would be a fun event! (I'm now daydreaming of a full-blown greyout feature, in which going faster you go through the loop, the longer and more intense the blurring becomes.)