News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Tricks tips video

Started by alanrotoi, September 26, 2021, 05:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

I'm making a video full of tricks explaining how to make them and showing every example.
Should I sort the tricks by elements or by difficulty?

Cas

I would group them first by difficulty, like three groups (easy, medium and hard) and then within each, separate by item. What do you think?

And indeed. This is very good. If I can help, let me know. Some tricks you have to try like a hundred times until they work, so if we have more people trying, we'll get the replay with it sooner.

I've been thinking of making a video to explain how my tools work, but never actually did that. Should be one day
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

alanrotoi

Thank you guys! It's a community service :)

Quote from: Cas on September 26, 2021, 06:53:22 PM
If I can help, let me know. Some tricks you have to try like a hundred times until they work, so if we have more people trying, we'll get the replay with it sooner.

I'm using old competition replays. I think 95% of the tricks were used in competitions. By the way I'll need to find some because I only remember few tracks. I already recorded about 10 tricks. Some of them in different angles.

Quote from: Cas on September 26, 2021, 06:53:22 PM
I've been thinking of making a video to explain how my tools work, but never actually did that. Should be one day

A tutorial video would be quiet useful!! Will you locute the explanation? I assume my spoken english is worse than my written so... ::)

dreadnaut

Quote from: alanrotoi on September 26, 2021, 07:03:11 PM
I assume my spoken english is worse than my written so... ::)

Your english is quite alright I think 👍

alanrotoi

Maybe Replay Handling and Power Gear needs a separated video from the other tricks. RH is about the replay system and PG it depends on the car.

I'm using your list dreadnaut (thanks!), an old list I had in 4dsL site https://web.archive.org/web/20040307124459fw_/http://www.lukaswebs.com/stunts/trucos.htm (they're sort by difficulty) and another list I wrote today.

If you don't mind I'll list here the tricks I need to find somewhere.

KyLiE

This is a great idea! :)

Quote from: alanrotoi on September 26, 2021, 05:34:38 PM

I think the tricks should definitely be sorted by difficulty.

alanrotoi

Quote from: KyLiE on September 27, 2021, 01:54:29 AM
This is a great idea! :)

Quote from: alanrotoi on September 26, 2021, 05:34:38 PM

I think the tricks should definitely be sorted by difficulty.

I think the same at first sight but think deeper about you'll have more than 1 trick per element. The "difficulty sort" seems to be easier and catchy but the exposition must come and go from every element more two or three times. Maybe if the video is sorted by element you can learn how to deal with them one by one.

I think "by diff" is not "in depth" and a bit messy. Also if the video is divided in only 3 sections may be not so didactic but catchy and funnier.
On the other hand "by element" might be more useful. Seems more effective in a didactic way.

1) Is this reasoning right?
2) If yes, what should I prioritize "catchy" or "didactic"?

PS: I want to do it the best way so no problem tell me if I'm wrong or not that right. :D

KyLiE

I still think that the tricks should be sorted by difficulty.  A progressive learning curve is easier to follow and what if a trick involves two or more elements?  You have a point about focusing on one element at a time though, so if you decide to sort the tricks by element, I think you should also sort them by difficulty for each element.

As for being catchy or didactic, why not both? :P If that's not possible though, I think you should prioritise being didactic.  While I love to be entertained, often I find being educated and informed very rewarding.  I'm definitely looking forward to your video.

Cas

I think if I do record a video, I'd use my voice. I'd have to re-record a few times for the speech to be fluent. Accent is unavoidable, though.

alanrotoi

That would be great!  I'll sort the trick by diff (beginner, advanced and expert).
1st i have to finish recording the tricks. I tryied to use original cars mostly, all taken from competition replay.

I saw magic carpets from zct139 ... I forgot we did that magic... And I finished 9th, imagine renato's winning replay...

Ryoma

Think about the subtitles for people like who has difficulties to ear english.

alanrotoi

Quote from: Ryoma on September 28, 2021, 09:56:04 AM
Think about the subtitles for people like who has difficulties to ear english.

You're right! I think youtube have an atomatic subtitles system but not sure about how effective is.

These are the clips already taken. There are many more to come :)

Cas

Going through the underside of loops and also through slalom blocks should be included. For PG, I think a dedicated video would be necessary, but it could still be described in a resumed way with the other tricks.

For u/d corks, you have going through the wall and driving on the side of it, almost in contact with the wall

For l/r corks, something I've been able to do sometimes by sheer chance is jump over the middle wall from a side to the other.

alanrotoi

Quote from: Cas on September 29, 2021, 10:39:43 PM
Going through the underside of loops and also through slalom blocks should be included. For PG, I think a dedicated video would be necessary, but it could still be described in a resumed way with the other tricks.

For u/d corks, you have going through the wall and driving on the side of it, almost in contact with the wall

For l/r corks, something I've been able to do sometimes by sheer chance is jump over the middle wall from a side to the other.

Yes that's the way I'm thinking :)

About the jump of mid wall of cork l/r I forgot about it. If you could do a replay or if you saw in a competition replay I'll make the clip. There are many ways to taka advantage from cork l/r and some of them are off-road. If you come from the outside to the sides it can help you to turn the car closer. Also you can go from the right side to the roof an make crazy stunts, specially with slow cars like Lancia. If you come straight the road and turn to the right before the cork you suddenly jump to the left and the same in the other side of the cork but it would end crashing to the inside of the element.

There are many tricks still to be recorded.