News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Chatroom

Started by alanrotoi, March 20, 2022, 01:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreadnaut

Quote from: Cas on February 13, 2023, 07:02:13 PMBut then it fails and says: "There are no Matrix endpoints here. Perhaps you forgot to resolve the client-server API URL?"

Have you tried with matrix.envs.net?

dreadnaut

I was typing this in Element, then realised I wanted to reach more people, so I'm going to put it here. Chat still feels wrong to me ::)

Looking at features, clients, accessiblity, I have a slight preference for Matrix over Telegram. It does web/desktop/mobile but it's not a specific app, there are more clientseven Thunderbird seems to support it. It can be used more like IRC: you can create an account on the fly, even as a guest if I understood correctly, and don't need email / phone number etc. And it looks like it might be hackable enough to blend better stunts.hu bits.

Bonus: it's an open project instead of free product from a for-profit company with an eye on ads, microtransactions, etc.

On the other hand, the forum chat is alright for many things, we'll see if we configuration changes can make it more useful.

Cas

Uhm... that doesn't seem to work. I tried to create a new user at matrix.org and it takes me to a horrible Google ReCaptcha. Same that Element did the last time, but after I solve the ReCaptcha, Nheko somehow doesn't detect that I've completed it and it won't let me register.

My feelings about Matrix are mixed. On one end, yes, I very much prefer it over Telegram for the same reasons you mention. Telegram is spyware and requires a phone number, and it's centralised. This is more personal. On the other hand, so far, the clients I've tried are not very friendly, but I guess that's OK. Element worked, at least. I can re-donwload it.

What I really dislike is the Google ReCaptcha. If this is independent, then why Google?  I wonder if this is something that comes from matrix.org particularly or all instances have it. Would we have our own instance or just use a pre-existing one?  Maybe a custom instance from Stunts would do well. I don't know how easy or complex this is to set up.

Anyway, Nheko is driving me nuts, but I know Element works. I'm curious about Thunderbird. Didn't know it supported Matrix.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.