News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Not seen this posted: 10 minute time limit in 1.1, not in 1.0

Started by Niels007007, November 17, 2023, 12:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niels007007

Heyho,

I like to make very long 'rally stages' of about 18 minutes. Using 4d or Stunts 1.1, the game crashes after 10 minutes. Using v1.0, you get a warning that the replay buffer is full and if you want to continue.

odd that seemingly, version 1.1 they forgot this replay buffer check and the game just crashes!

Cas

Hi, Niels!  Yes, indeed, version 1.1 has a bug and it won't handle driving time in excess like version 1.0 does. Maybe it's a bug we can fix someday
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Overdrijf

We should do a marathon event, maybe a 12 hour race, on a live stream. 8)

Also: hi Niels! Welcome.

Cas

We could do a "composed race" to avoid this problem and also, to make it more interesting. Like... five tracks are published just before the event and then, you have to race them in order and post the replays one by one with some time tolerance. In a way, it'd be as if it were an open circuit with several stages, and we can make it as long as we wish.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Duplode

Welcome @Niels007007 ! And yup, that's indeed a bug in versions newer than Stunts 1.0 (Broderbund 1990). We've only realised its likely underlying cause quite recently. In addition to the replay buffer, later versions store snapshots of the game state every thirty seconds to make rewinding the replay tape faster. The game allocates memory for twenty such snapshots. Twenty times thirty seconds is ten minutes, and so at that point we get a hard crash. See this post for some extra discussion of rewinding in Stunts 1.1.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the title of the ZCT242 track, from ZakStunts season 2021?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview