News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

original stunts source code

Started by Anonymous, May 16, 2006, 10:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Hello!
Does anybody have any idea if it is possible to obtain source code of original stunts somehow? I guess not, but think how great it would be... I have many ideas for new mods for this great game but without source it is very hard and in many cases impossible to realise them. At a last resort i will try to make few reversals and write some modules raw in assembler but possibilities of such modifications are very limited:/

BonzaiJoe

No, the source code does not exist anymore :(  We asked Kevin Pickell about it, and he said he would give it to us, but he couldn't.
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

Quote from: "BonzaiJoe"No, the source code does not exist anymore :(  We asked Kevin Pickell about it, and he said he would give it to us, but he couldn't.

Maybe we must ask the other programmers.

Chulk

Quote from: "CTG"Maybe we must ask the other programmers.
You can do that? I didn't think stunts community has such great relations!
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

Quote from: "Chulk"
Quote from: "CTG"Maybe we must ask the other programmers.
You can do that? I didn't think stunts community has such great relations!

Well... Kevin Pickell was found by Zak (?) on the internet few years ago (see in Zak's interview section). We have no contact with other programmers from Stunts project but maybe we can look for them...

zaqrack

Quote from: "CTG"
We have no contact with other programmers from Stunts project

we do have.

Alain interviewed Herr Otto for example :)

still, not much we can do to obtain the source code.
disassembling could be a (painful and hard) solution though

btw: it'd be great if Alain could share those interviews again which were on Stunts R'Us!

CTG

The Hungarian guy? Or am I totally missed in fake (dreamed?) details? :)

Cas

I am quite interested in disassembling Stunts. As a matter of fact, I have already been working on that... slowly... but constantly, since the last months. I think we will all finally need that source to be available in the Stunts community.
Those of you who know how to work in disassembling the code... do you think it is possible that we can help one another somehow?  Maybe we can agree in a way to work together so that we can finish sooner and get to a best result.
I am disassembling Stunts file LOAD.EXE after having unpacked it. I am using Flat Assembler syntax (see FASM site at http://flatassembler.net) for being it so flexible and powerful, so that I can later on recompile the program with any needed modifications. In the future, I may spread the source in many files and comment it thoroughly to make it the clearest possible for the reader. What do you, guys,  think?

Cas :)
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

zaqrack

oh, finally someone!

you are GREAT, simply GREAT!

Unfortunately I know nothing about coding in assembly - nor anything about disassembling.  :(

After I have finished my exams (mid-June) I'll gladly help in anything I can.

you must be right, load.exe must contain the game physics and routines.

and possivly game1.p3s and game2.p3s contain the graphics
that must be some strtange container format.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Cas"I am quite interested in disassembling Stunts.

Oh, yessss!!! Gooood. :twisted:
(I also cannot help in this case... :?)

JTK

Oops - the board kicked me out! I was the "guest" above... 8)

Cas

Yes, actually, LOAD.EXE does not hold ALL the code. The graphic routines appear to be located in the COD files. The HDR files actually contain the EXE header for each COD files, which are apparently encoded with the same encryption method as most files in the game, which looks like a Huffman compression. DIF files, I've no idea.
Graphics are spread in many files. GAME1.P3S and GAME2.P3S are 3D objects that you can find on tracks. All P3S files contain 3D objects. For example, every car, say, Porsche March Indy, have a 4 letter ID, say PMIN, so file STPMIN.P3S contain the 3D graphic of the car. STDAPMIN.PVS contains 2D bitmaps of the cockpit and STDBPMIN.PVS contains the gear graphics. While CARPMIN.RES is actually the behaviour of the car and the displays and indicators that change. DRV files contain routines that execute sound. STUNTS.COM is nothing but a loader that starts LOAD.EXE with the parameters set in SETUP.DAT (I have already disassembled and analyzed that COM file). VCE files stand for Voice and contain sounds. KMS files contain music. TRK, RPL and HIG, we already know and those are very simple formats. :)

JTK

Vintage Stunts Racing at http://www.kalpen.de

Cas

I'm sorry!  Lots of things happened and I haven't had any time to work on this for long. I'm going to put hands at work again on debugging Stunts. Please consider I'm only one person and it really takes long to analize such a long code.

JTK

Vintage Stunts Racing at http://www.kalpen.de

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the title of the ZCT242 track, from ZakStunts season 2021?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview