News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Politics around the world

Started by CTG, November 17, 2006, 11:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somehow I think Obama won't be a president for a long time. What do you think?

He'll be the president for 8 years.
7 (31.8%)
He'll be the president for 4 years.
7 (31.8%)
He'll fail earlier because of the economical crisis.
1 (4.5%)
He'll be murdered earlier by terrorists/Ku Klux Klan/McCain/Hillary Clinton :D
7 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Chulk

Quote from: CTG on October 24, 2012, 12:16:56 PM
Public polls say Jobbik is quite highly supported (15-20%), especially among the young people.
I mean no harm to you, Hungarian friends, but that speaks very badly of the people in your country
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

Quote from: Chulk on October 24, 2012, 04:26:46 PM
Quote from: CTG on October 24, 2012, 12:16:56 PM
Public polls say Jobbik is quite highly supported (15-20%), especially among the young people.
I mean no harm to you, Hungarian friends, but that speaks very badly of the people in your country

Since I hate my own country, it doesn't really hurt me.

BonzaiJoe

Nearly all European countries have a racist party with support from 15-20% of the population

Front National (France)
Freedom Party (Netherlands)
Sverigedemokraterne (Sweden)
Dansk Folkeparti (Denmark)
Fremskrittspartiet (Norway)
FPÖ and Jörg Haider List (Austria)
Jobbik (Hungary)
Golden Dawn (Greece - somewhat less support because they are more extreme)
...and probably most other countries also.

Except from Golden Dawn, Jobbik is the most extremist of these parties, and this is what really says something about Hungary.

If a country has no significant racist party, it's likely because of the parliamentary system. In Great Britain, there are two racist parties (BNP, UKIP), but they have no chance of getting seats in the parliament because of the system.
In Germany, the neo-nazi party is outlawed.
But we can't be quite sure.

alanrotoi

CTG

Duplode

In other news, today we had runoff elections for mayors in Brazil, and the results are just in. Here in São Paulo, Fernando Haddad of PT has won against evergreen and perennial ( ::)) mayor/governor/presidential hopeful/whatever José Serra from PSDB. Though there is no need for fireworks, that is a rather good thing, if only to curb the arrogance of PSDB and their allies (they held the city government for eight years, and are set to complete twenty at state level). Furthermore, the current administration has an alarming inclination to sell public space to the highest bidder.

BonzaiJoe

Quote from: Duplode on October 28, 2012, 10:53:30 PM
In other news, today we had runoff elections for mayors in Brazil, and the results are just in. Here in São Paulo, Fernando Haddad of PT has won against evergreen and perennial ( ::)) mayor/governor/presidential hopeful/whatever José Serra from PSDB. Though there is no need for fireworks, that is a rather good thing, if only to curb the arrogance of PSDB and their allies (they held the city government for eight years, and are set to complete twenty at state level). Furthermore, the current administration has an alarming inclination to sell public space to the highest bidder.

Seriously? Aren't they supposed to be leftists?
But we can't be quite sure.

Duplode

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on October 29, 2012, 09:31:24 AM

Supposed to, indeed ("Social Democracia", heh) - but as PT moved from left to centre-left over the last ten years they mirrored it by shifting rightwards.

Chulk

Quote from: Duplode on October 29, 2012, 02:42:57 PM
Quote from: BonzaiJoe on October 29, 2012, 09:31:24 AM

Supposed to, indeed ("Social Democracia", heh) - but as PT moved from left to centre-left over the last ten years they mirrored it by shifting rightwards.
I have a theory about politic parties here in Argentina. Every party is a lefty until they win an election, then they become a right wing party immediately. Many of them still pretend they are left wing and give one or two thing the "help" the poor (actually, it's not a real help but more a way to keep them hold and force them to keep voting for them) but they really make decisions only based on whatever the guys providing the money needs

CTG

Quote from: CTG on October 24, 2012, 07:53:16 AM
"Together 2014" is just another meaningless big word from another liar. Neither Bajnai, nor Gyurcsány is worth for a vote - even if they are (slightly) better than Orbán.

New law from Fidesz: associations can't participate in the next elections, only parties. Quite a fast reaction on "Together 2014", comprising several smaller civil groups. If you have >66.7% in the parliament, you can change everything without any resistence. And they have...

When Gyurcsány (former prime minister) founded a new party, called Democratic Coalition with 10 active MPs (leaving MSZP), Fidesz suddenly raised the minimal limit of founding a single independent parliamentary group (from 10 to 12). Democracy, huh?

alanrotoi

I hope Obama wins, he seems moderated in front of any republican monster.

alanrotoi

I'm very happy guys, we (argentinians) have very nice present compared with the 90's. People, young people doing politics a lot of people in a much better economical situation than in those times. There is a new wave since 2003 and the people who left the country because unemployment and disenchantment with politics, politicians (most of them went to Spain, USA, etc.) they are comming back.

Edit:

I like this government but, there is a problem. They have not opposition and that's not healthy. They didn't be killed of course, they (opposition) represents the past and the monopoly. So nobody want them. But, again, a real opposition is ALWAYS healthy.

alanrotoi

Obama won again and Romney went to the sewers with the Teenage Ninja Turtles, where he belongs.

CTG

We payed a lot more attention on the USA elections four years ago. Now it seems everybody is a bit tired of politics.

Chulk

Quick trivia guys, just for some research I'm doing:
How old do you have to be in your country to legally...

- Be able to travel abroad without parents permit (if there is a different age for EU and the rest of the world, please say so)
- Buy alcohol
- Get married
- Go to jail for murdering somebody
- Have a driving license
- Have a job
- Sign a legal contract
- Vote