News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Politics around the world

Started by CTG, November 17, 2006, 11:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somehow I think Obama won't be a president for a long time. What do you think?

He'll be the president for 8 years.
7 (31.8%)
He'll be the president for 4 years.
7 (31.8%)
He'll fail earlier because of the economical crisis.
1 (4.5%)
He'll be murdered earlier by terrorists/Ku Klux Klan/McCain/Hillary Clinton :D
7 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Usrin

Quote from: CTG on September 18, 2014, 04:01:12 PM
Do you support the independence of Scotland?

(I guess they will stay in the UK.)

I support it, and I'm disappointed that "No" won. Generally I support stronger relations between the countries of Europe - which the UK refuses, as they still think that they are a big empire with no need to co-operate with others. It would be good if at least Scotland was out of this wannabe empire. Even the current, extremely bureaucratic EU is not as strongly controlled by the short-term interests of global corporates as the UK...

Btw, for us in SW Norway it would have been especially good if our neighbours over the sea were not living in a "foreign empire", but in an ordinary country, and if building economic relations towards them was as easy as towards Sweden or Denmark.
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

BonzaiJoe

Good arguments.

By the way Usrin, you seem very critical towards UK and USA - what are your attitudes towards France and Germany?
But we can't be quite sure.

alanrotoi

Did you hear Hollande speach in UN today?

BonzaiJoe

But we can't be quite sure.

Duplode

alanrotoi

Duplode

Quote from: alanrotoi on October 06, 2014, 05:17:43 AM
Who did you vote, Dup?

Eduardo Jorge, the actual Green candidate (i.e. not Marina) and, alongside Luciana Genro, one of the few to make an unambiguous stand against the "family values" moralistic grovelling in fashion these days. I didn't particularly care about the results of the first round as long as no one would reach an overall majority, ensuring a runoff. As for the runoff, I lean towards Dilma, though with zero enthusiasm. To me, re-electing her seems somewhat less worse than bringing back "Third Way" (in the 90's sense) Aécio/PSDB. In any case, take any alarmist reports you might read with a grain of salt: there is ridiculous scaremongering coming from both sides, and it will only get worse in the coming weeks.

alanrotoi

Quote from: Duplode on October 07, 2014, 03:06:38 AM
one of the few to make an unambiguous stand against the "family values" moralistic grovelling in fashion these days.

I noted the same. Marina Silva's popularity growed up a lot in the last months but her speech was abstract.

Quote from: Duplode on October 07, 2014, 03:06:38 AMless worse than bringing back "Third Way" (in the 90's sense) Aécio/PSDB.

We will vote president next year and I feel the same. I don't want to vote the present government candidate (whoever will be) and in the other side there is a candidate (or two) puppets of a business group + foreign interests. I'll never vote a business group candidate but I guess we need some changes. The worst part is there isn't a competent healthy opposition.

Duplode

Quote from: alanrotoi on October 07, 2014, 04:33:16 AM
Marina Silva's popularity growed up a lot in the last months but her speech was abstract.

Indeed. The lingering feeling is that there wasn't much between her and Aécio other than feel-good "new politics" handwaving and a worrying lack of clarity.

I'll never vote a business group candidate but I guess we need some changes. The worst part is there isn't a competent healthy opposition.

Same here. It would be great to have a credible left-of-centre alternative to PT able to gather mainstream support.

zaqrack

I'll never vote a business group candidate but I guess we need some changes. The worst part is there isn't a competent healthy opposition.

copypaste Hungary :)

CTG

Orbán's new enemies are the internet users: the government wants 150 HUF/gigabyte tax on internet usage (that means 0.50 EUR/GB).

http://www.portfolio.hu/en/economy/hungary_to_impose_internet_levy_in_2015_tax_plans_show.28561.html

zaqrack

this is a publicity stunt aimed to redirect attention from the fact that several Hungarians close to the government (possibly including the head of the national tax office) were banned from entering the US due to involvement in corruption.

alanrotoi

What's the Hungarian government position about the topic "pipelines/energy/Russia/Ukraine/Europe"?

CTG

Quote from: alanrotoi on October 22, 2014, 06:18:41 AM
What's the Hungarian government position about the topic "pipelines/energy/Russia/Ukraine/Europe"?

Just guess from that... Orbán is Putin's slave, which is quite bizarre since Fidesz is a "right wing party" (when they were in opposition, they protested against everything related to Russia - and still barking about "communist sins"), while Putin is clearly a post-communist president/dictator.

http://hungarianspectrum.wordpress.com/2014/03/13/a-brief-summary-of-the-russian-hungarian-agreement-on-the-paks-nuclear-power-plant/

CTG

Quote from: zaqrack on October 22, 2014, 04:23:02 AM
this is a publicity stunt aimed to redirect attention from the fact that several Hungarians close to the government (possibly including the head of the national tax office) were banned from entering the US due to involvement in corruption.

Still, it's a dirty move. My daily data transfer is about 500-1000 MB (no IPTV, no Torrent, just from browsing the web and watching YouTube videos).

I don't really care about the corruption case (the whole issue is not surprising at all), since it's well-known that our country is a fuckin' corrupt one. Not only the politicians, not only the state system, but even civilians like doctors with their parasolvency or policemen, teachers, etc. Only the number of zeros in the amount of bribe money is different in their case.