News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Politics around the world

Started by CTG, November 17, 2006, 11:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somehow I think Obama won't be a president for a long time. What do you think?

He'll be the president for 8 years.
7 (31.8%)
He'll be the president for 4 years.
7 (31.8%)
He'll fail earlier because of the economical crisis.
1 (4.5%)
He'll be murdered earlier by terrorists/Ku Klux Klan/McCain/Hillary Clinton :D
7 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

alanrotoi

Anyway there is no doubt Russia stopped the withdrawal (since USSR fall) and is advancing once more in the international scene.

Is this good or healthy? Yes and no.

BonzaiJoe

As long as they're advancing with troops: definitely no. Otherwise I guess it could be fine. Of course they have a corrupted and repressive system and massive inequality but so does China. It doesn't prevent a country from playing a positive role internationally.
But we can't be quite sure.

alanrotoi

Porochenko suggests an EU military presence in Ukraine. Lugansk and Donetsk are on the border with Russia. This could lead in a catastrophe.  :(

BonzaiJoe

Well, there is no EU military, so that won't be a problem  :P
Really I don't know what it would be best to do. It's not right that these Russians can forcibly seize land. Land belongs to those who live there. If you need to conquer it with military force, you're working for evil. But American retaliation should be avoided. And the pro-European Kiev governments of past times should probably have paid more attention to their Eastern, Russian-minded citizens.

alanrotoi

Sorry I mean UN :)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31527414

BTW "evil" or "goodness" aren't parameters in the real world. If you want to push the concept closer to a fantasy world, then all the governments in the past, present and future "works for evil".

BonzaiJoe

Quote from: alanrotoi on February 19, 2015, 03:32:21 AM
Sorry I mean UN :)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31527414

BTW "evil" or "goodness" aren't parameters in the real world. If you want to push the concept closer to a fantasy world, then all the governments in the past, present and future "works for evil".

I don't agree with that. I take my political stances based on a consistent moral framework, and I'm not the only one.

It's not objective good and evil, and of course no one in politics does something just to be evil. To me, evil means working for your own interests even when it's harmful to others. It also means adhering to abstract principles in the face of human suffering. This is why I think of the last few Israeli governments as evil. They adhere to the idea the Israel must occupy the entire "promised land" (just a story made up by the same people now conquering the land), so they inflict a lot of concrete human suffering on people who have done no wrong (just living where they were born and raised) by allowing and fencing and protectign settlements in the middle of other people's land. This is what I mean by evil.

alanrotoi

Ok I understand but also I can't see a good move from a government in international politics since the Big Bang.
Anyway the lack of interest, ignorance, care and empathy of most of humanity (people, not politicians) is way more dangerous than a corrupt government because this is the way to act impunished making "evil".

A quick and easy example: Sometimes here you can listen critics against religious extremism from some countries and in the arguments presents as an evil and anachronistic mind Iran because is a theocratic state then that's enough to conclude they are always wrong. I agree believe or not but if you see who says this you can ask them: "Hey you're Catholic! Vatican is a theocratic state too so this argument fits to you too!"

Hypocrisy, inconsistency and apathy.

CTG

Fidesz lost the magic two-thirds in the Hungarian parliament: the interim elections in Veszprém resulted in a left-wing victory, so Orbán muppets have "only" 132/199 seats from now. The two-third majority meant an absolute power, they were able to toy with the constitution and any laws.

How typical, the state television and the close-to-Fidesz commercial TV/radio stations tried to understate these news or even to stay silent about it (which sounds quite ridiculous in the Internet era :D).

BonzaiJoe

"We have no more kings because Hungary
is a parliamental democracy!"

CTG

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on February 24, 2015, 11:02:28 AM
"We have no more kings because Hungary
is a parliamental democracy!"

One of Orbán's nickname was "Cárevics" (forming a usual Slavian name from the word 'Tsar') during his first goverment period, caricaturing his lust for power. I like to call him 0th Viktor king.

alanrotoi

I was wondering, Does Brazil ever lose a war? Empire vs Provincias Unidas = win, Triple Alianza war = win, Bolivia war = win, I don't know if WWII counts but soldiers were sent and win...

Thinking about it I'm sure you have some "military moments" against England (as every country in the planet), France (almost the same) and/or Netherlands (or it was only at colonial times?)

Shoegazing Leo

The only brazilian military lost was in Uruguay's Independece War, but the Imperial Forces are mostly german mercenaries. The Brazilian Army really born on Paraguay's War.

Duplode

As for skirmishes with European nations, only in colonial times indeed - and not even that in the case of England, given the perennial Anglo-Portuguese alliance (Treaty of Windsor).

zaqrack

Hungary pretty much lost all wars it ever participated in :D

BonzaiJoe

Same with Denmark. We won a few sea battles here and there but have otherwise generally spent the last 500 years getting pounded by Sweden, Germany and England and becoming smaller and smaller. The rise of the EU is fortunate for Denmark because it has stopped our country from getting smaller.