News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Everything about computers

Started by CTG, January 23, 2007, 12:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My web browser is...

Internet Explorer
3 (14.3%)
Firefox
9 (42.9%)
Opera
1 (4.8%)
Google Chrome
5 (23.8%)
Safari
1 (4.8%)
Konqueror
1 (4.8%)
else
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Duplode

At last I got to exchange my falling Athlon XP platform for a brand new C2D! As mentioned on USL thread, I was having hell to set it up right, particularly to format the SATA HD and install XP in it. But now everything seems fine... Oh yes, Stunts works well on DOSBox, under exactly the same configs of the old computer.

Krys TOFF

Quote from: DuplodeStunts works well on DOSBox, under exactly the same configs of the old computer.
Well, so it means that the numerous time I spent to find new DOSBox correct settings with my new computer were not due to core 2 duo processor, but due to Vista... :(

zaqrack

hah, new notebook, straight from the good old German eBay. :) 5 hours runtime on battery, below 1,5kg yum yum :)

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X40

have to set up dosbox though.
and I'm considering changing to NoRH racing. I hope that will bring back my motivation towards Stunts, which I miss a lot lately. (gosh, I'm playing xmoto]http://xmoto.tuxfamily.org/index.php?page=screenshots]xmoto instead :-S)


Mark L. Rivers

Quote from: zaqrack on October 04, 2007, 02:04:05 PM
hah, new notebook, straight from the good old German eBay. :) 5 hours runtime on battery, below 1,5kg yum yum :)

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X40

have to set up dosbox though.
and I'm considering changing to NoRH racing. I hope that will bring back my motivation towards Stunts, which I miss a lot lately. (gosh, I'm playing xmoto]http://xmoto.tuxfamily.org/index.php?page=screenshots]xmoto instead :-S)

What a wonderful news...!  :) :) :)

Chulk

Quote from: Mark L. Rivers on October 04, 2007, 02:46:27 PM
Quote from: zaqrack on October 04, 2007, 02:04:05 PM
hah, new notebook, straight from the good old German eBay. :) 5 hours runtime on battery, below 1,5kg yum yum :)

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X40

have to set up dosbox though.
and I'm considering changing to NoRH racing. I hope that will bring back my motivation towards Stunts, which I miss a lot lately. (gosh, I'm playing xmoto]http://xmoto.tuxfamily.org/index.php?page=screenshots]xmoto instead :-S)

What a wonderful news...!  :) :) :)
They really are!!! 2 new drivers for next season? GREAT!!!
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

#50
Windows XP reinstall: tonight. Reason: my cracked firewall's annual licence is over and couldn't renew it with keygen codes. Firewall reinstall doesn't help and forced date changes make other applications mad. :(

I have about 6.9 GByte important data to save (I have to format all drives to make new partitions with different size as C: was too small).
4000,54 km

CTG

I would like to test Linux as an alternative operation system installed on another partition. Which version do you suggest for Pentium IV notebook with 256 MB RAM and 1300 MHz CPU? Where can I download it? And how much space do I need on the new partition for the installed Linux with some basic programs like text editor and other close-to-Office applications?
4000,54 km

Krys TOFF

Linux requires at least 192 Mb RAM, you are just above the minimum, so I suggest XUnbutu instead of Unbutu or KUnbutu.
Unbutu-based Linux are the most popular, active (2 new versions per year or so) and user-friendly.

Mandriva is also a user-friendly, but with proprietary system, unlike Debian-based Linux like Unbutu (and derivates). So, if you want to test really free alternative, Debian-based Linux is the choice. And Mandriva requires 256 Mb minimum instead of 192 Mb, so I really don't suggest it for your computer.

But the real Linux expert is Zak.

zaqrack

xubuntu is a nice start for this config. easy to install and use. ubuntu is better, but needs more RAM.
Leave it at least 4GB space, lots of applications come with it :)

Krys TOFF

Quote from: CTGbasic programs like text editor and other close-to-Office applications?
OOo : OpenOffice.org, also available for Windows. Link

Krys TOFF

Quote from: zaqrack on January 15, 2008, 04:54:55 PM
xubuntu is a nice start for this config. easy to install and use. ubuntu is better, but needs more RAM.
KUnbutu is even better, because there is Konqueror. :P ;D
I'm sure Usrin will agree with me, as he uses KUnbutu if I remember it well.

zaqrack

Ooo is inlcuded in every major linux distribution. And you can install konqueror on xubuntu, ubuntu, any linux with just a simple command. But xubuntu is a lot more resource-friendly.

Of course arch linux still beats it all, it uses ~60Mb of ram with a full running xfce desktop environment. Comparison: my work notebook has Vista Business, and after boot it uses around 700Mb of ram. Insane.
Arch is just a bit tricky to set it up, so I dont recommend it to someone unfamiliar with linux.

CTG

#57
Thanks. Re-installing process will start in an hour, it seems that I'm going to wait a bit with Linux until I buy this "slightly" better notebook:

ACER Aspire 7520-6A2G16MI

Screen: 17.0" WXGA+ 16:9; 1440x900
CPU: Mobile AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK55 (2 cores, 64bit), 1800 MHz
Chipset: NVIDIA? nForce? 630M
RAM: 2048MB 2*1024/533MHz
HDD: 160GB 5400RPM SATA
Optical drive: 8x DVD+-RW DL SM drive
Graphic: NVIDIA? GeForce Go 7000M 128MB
Battery: 4000 mAh (Li-ion)
Interfaces: 56K modem, 5in1 Card reader, Digital Audio S/PDIF, ExpressCard slot, FireWire I-link, Gigabit LAN, Infraport, S-Video, USB 2.0 (4*), VGA screen, Webcamera, Wireless 802.11b/g
Size: 404 x 298 x 38/43 mm
Weight: 3.7 kg (monster...)

It costs 179,900 HUF (~700 Euro) - quite reasonable amount of money for this. I'm going to buy it in the early summer. Let's hope it's not a bad choice...


4000,54 km

Duplode

I forgot to tell you I finally, *again*, exchanged my computer last month - the first new PC I mentioned in July was eventually returned due to the shop attempting to scam me. It's still a C2D, mid-to-high end box that I don't plan exchanging again for a very long time. Anyway, most interesting is that this week I finally got a go with Linux on the new machine. In fact I've been wanting to try it for a long time, even more I started operating with Linux systems at University, but never really went for it due to slow downloading speeds and lack of an adequate partition either on my old Athlon or in the home's #2 PC. But then I got the chance to borrow a disk... The distro is Fedora Core 8, which I'm sort of used to from the University. It''s not the most user-friendly stuff ever, sure, and it took a while until I figured out how to update and install packages without having daily 300MB updates, but as of now I'm positively impressed, and starting to consider (other than high-end gaming, Office compatibility, and, until I reformat the NTFS partitions at least, DVD recording)full-time migration. It's pretty damn good... 8)

zaqrack

Bah, don't buy a 17" "notebook", and I'd also not recommend an Athlon mobile processor - unless you intend to only use it on a power outlet. With this battery it would not last an hour on battery. Of course if this is not an issue for you, go on!

Quote from: CTG on January 16, 2008, 12:08:59 AM

Screen: 17.0" WXGA+ 16:9; 1440x900
CPU: Mobile AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK55 (2 cores, 64bit), 1800 MHz
Chipset: NVIDIA? nForce? 630M
RAM: 2048MB 2*1024/533MHz
HDD: 160GB 5400RPM SATA
Optical drive: 8x DVD+-RW DL SM drive
Graphic: NVIDIA? GeForce Go 7000M 128MB
Battery: 4000 mAh (Li-ion)
Interfaces: 56K modem, 5in1 Card reader, Digital Audio S/PDIF, ExpressCard slot, FireWire I-link, Gigabit LAN, Infraport, S-Video, USB 2.0 (4*), VGA screen, Webcamera, Wireless 802.11b/g
Size: 404 x 298 x 38/43 mm
Weight: 3.7 kg (monster...)

It costs 179,900 HUF (~700 Euro) - quite reasonable amount of money for this. I'm going to buy it in the early summer. Let's hope it's not a bad choice...