News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

new cars

Started by Overdrijf, January 24, 2007, 12:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

Out of curiosity: anyone knows where does RPLInfo reads colour data from? And by the way, was it ever tried to change colour sets of the cars? I'd love to drive the pink Indycars and black Speedgates that wander around on SDR site...

CTG

Color of the car can be changed in RPL file by a simple HexEditor, search for it in the archives...

Duplode

Just checked address 0x0004. Nice, but that's too bad the colour set definitions for each car are buried into the graphics files (and thus we're restricted to seven colours by car)...

Duplode

While doing the tuning for a new project, I finally located the aerodynamical coefficient parameter that puts a cap on cars' flat-straightline top speed and high-gear acceleration. The ever-elusive byte has address 5Eh, two bytes before the torque curve - that is, right under our noses... :P Anyway, understanding how that parameter works is a crucial piece of information on overall comprehension of tuning; therefore you may expect some significant overhaul on the Wiki stuff about tuning anytime soon  :)

Mark L. Rivers

Great Duplode, advanced car engineer!  :) I've just a question: may tuning the "new" parameter affect the grip in the curve...? It would be really interesting...

Krys TOFF

BonzaiJoe

Quote from: Duplode on August 04, 2007, 05:51:48 AM
Just checked address 0x0004. Nice, but that's too bad the colour set definitions for each car are buried into the graphics files (and thus we're restricted to seven colours by car)...

If you delete the colour byte, will the car go black? Or invisible?

I don't know anything about programming  :-[
But we can't be quite sure.

Chulk

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on February 21, 2008, 12:19:09 PM

I was about to ask the same. And what if you put a different value that stunts doesn't know? Maybe something like thatcrazy horizon will happen to car colour, that would be cool!
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

Quote from: Mark L. Rivers on February 21, 2008, 08:08:28 AM
Great Duplode, advanced car engineer!  :) I've just a question: may tuning the "new" parameter affect the grip in the curve...? It would be really interesting...

Nice suggestion... doing a quick test it seems this parameter does not create downforce, just drag, cornering speeds being unaffected. Aero downforce is probably bundled toegether with the traditional (mechanical) grip parameter, as both have the function of defining how much centripetal (lat-g) force one has available to corner. Aero drag does, however, affects other stuff, such as how fast the car slows down without acceleration or brakes and limit speed on grass at each gear.
Speaking of grip, what I *really* would love to find are oversteer and understeer parameters, so dynamical behaviour on corners and slides could be modified... but that probably won't happen, as all cars seem to slide just like the same (at least in terms of over/understeer).

Quote from: Chulk on February 21, 2008, 12:43:25 PM
Quote from: BonzaiJoe on February 21, 2008, 12:19:09 PM

I was about to ask the same. And what if you put a different value that stunts doesn't know? Maybe something like thatcrazy horizon will happen to car colour, that would be cool!

Unfortunately guys there is no easy way to hack new colours... you can't truly remove a byte from the file (doing so would simply shift all other bytes one position to the "left"). Also, changing address 4h of the .RPL has very limited effects: 00 to 06 values will cycle through the usual colours of the car; while anything higher gets reverted to the default colour. Now, would it be that hard for DSI to add seven extra bytes to the CAR*.RES so any colour on a 8-bit (256 colour) pallete could be used, instead of hiding the definitions on the *.P3S? :-\

Ayrton

Quote from: Mark L. Rivers on February 21, 2008, 08:08:28 AM

This is the parasite drag, i found this variable time ago and i did a funny ICC kart with it for closed circuits, i didn´t find the lift-induced drag (dowwnforce) variable and i think that it doesn´t exist in this game based on the handling of all the cars...

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Ayrton
This is the parasite drag, i found this variable time ago and i did a funny ICC kart with it for closed circuits, i didn´t find the lift-induced drag (dowwnforce) variable and i think that it doesn´t exist in this game based on the handling of all the cars...
You made a tuned car Ayrton ? Please share it with us, I'd like to test it (and I'm probably not the only one). ;)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the title of the ZCT269 track, from ZakStunts season 2023?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview