News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

True-DOS under DOSBox: Ideal Solution?

Started by Duplode, November 24, 2007, 04:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon82

Quote from: Krys TOFF on December 21, 2007, 10:25:17 AM
I can only agree : even if I managed to find almost-good settings for DOSBox with my new computer, it's always with a slight "late response" of the cars compared to pure DOS. Which is a handicap, especially for corner speed.
Exact, I'm happy I'm not the only one to feel it. I suffer it when I've to prepar for a dangerous turn.

Duplode

...or I'm a complete DOS noob. Yesterday I created a 200MB FAT32 partition on my secondary HD and tried to load DOS/Stunts from all sorts of boot floppies and CDs I could arrange without having to tinker a lot with configs (including Zak's ISO). Nothing worked - at most I reached Main Menu and was deterred due to lack of extended memory... And, to kill my will to try it further, I had a huge scare: After launching from a FreeDOS one-floppy package and reaching the car selection screen, my video went crazy with gibberish and the PC failed to restart afferwards! I had to unplug the video card, boot the machine running on onboard video and plug the GeForce again... ???

Chulk

I can't really see why you couldn't make it work. Maybe you should install DOS and then copy stunts directory to that partition. That shouldn't be so hard. Why did you try to do it with bootable floppies and CD's?
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Simon82

Yeah!!! Now I've a FAT32 C: partition I installed Dos 7.1 on first and after xp on it. Stunts run flawlessy smooth as never seen on dosbox. I was right on it comparing both system.

The only bad thing is that my laptop can't apparently resiza dos low res image to scale on fullscreen.. :(

zaqrack

As I got a work notebook at my new workplace (HP 6720s - GR649A in case anyone interested), which I will have to use while traveling to China, I formatted an USB pendrive to boot DOS and start Stunts, so I can play on any computer I meet, from now :)

The strange thing is, that on my own notebook, when I start Stunts this way, the sounds and the Music works strangely. Music skips and stops, and sound: there is no engine sound, just the sound of the landings after jumps and the skidding - I don't mind, this is the perfect setup for me. I always shift gears according to the RPM meter on the dashboard, and now I'm very intensely alerted when I start skidding. I like it!

The another reason why I post this here is if anyone would like to create a similar DOS booting pendrive, I could write a small HOWTO. A good way to use an old pendrive of yours for something useful :)

Duplode

Quote from: zaqrack on January 10, 2008, 07:48:21 PM
The another reason why I post this here is if anyone would like to create a similar DOS booting pendrive, I could write a small HOWTO. A good way to use an old pendrive of yours for something useful :)

Here is one interested potential user  8)

zaqrack

OK, a brief HOWTO as a start:

-download a DOS/Win9x boot floppy image according to your taste. I used the standard Windows98 files available here: http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=196

-Extract them somewhere

-download HP USB Disk Format Tool available here: http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

-unpack and run the tool, specifying FAT32 as a filesystem, and tick Create a DOS startup disk. Specify the location of the Win98/other system files extracted earlier

-Format the drive

-Copy your Stunts directory to the USB key.

-If you want it to autostart, just edit autoexec.bat in the root of the USB key, and enter stunts_k with its path.

later I'll add pictures, and info on how to add disk caching to speed up disk access, but it's not needed for Stunts that much.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Who won the 2021 season of ZakStunts?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview