News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

new wip car

Started by cody, October 26, 2008, 07:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chulk

That Ranger looks great! Nice work Cody!
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

zaqrack

Dear Cody,

in case you'd like to see the Ranger included in the ZakStunts 2008 season, I have made a "to be modified" list available here.
If it'd change the car too much apart from your imagined one, don't bother, I don't want to force it on you.
If you'd like to go for it, I suggest teaming up with someone experienced in .res tweaking.

Zak

cody

ok, i will make a special version for competiotion

cody

try this version, has been modified for zak's competition.

zaqrack

ok, we are getting closer, good work!

the dashboard is great!
top speed also fine, well set.
Grip: still  too much. This is a heavy and bulky car, should be hard to take corners above 80km/h
Acceleration: better, but still too much. Should be near the LM-002's amount.
And check the car specs, you wrote about 180BHP, while the lot less powerful LM002 has more than 400.

According to my imagination, a pick-up truck like the ranger can only achieve such big top speeds, if it's equipped with some bad-ass supercharged American-style engine.
Like this: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Rangerforums-40-ford_11714.htm
Or this: http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221222

But that still doesn't allow the car to turn fast. I'd say the current acceleration could stay in 1-3 gears, then it should be less. And also a lot slower turning as I said before. 

For an original ranger I have found this:
http://www.need4speed.ws/top-speed/AlexPB_FordRAngerV6_162hp_193/Ford-Ranger-V6-162-hp-193-kmh.html
that's 120MPH only.
Sadly found no specs for a supercharged ranger.

cody

ford rangers are light truck and weigh as much as an average like like the corvett. this ranger is lower to the ground and it wieghs less than the lm002. i'll have to make the specs with 240hp and a top speed of 145. it will be a tuned ranger.

zaqrack

alanrotoi

Duplode

You Ranger keeps improving steadily Cody  ;) Just a few extra suggestions for making the tuning closer to your specs:

• Version 1.4 has maximum revs (set by bytes 033h and 032h) at 6598rpm, which is most likely about the value you want it to be. However, the torque curve of the car is 71 bytes long, thus extending to 71*128 = 9088rpm (each byte in the curve covers 128rpm). That means the tail of the torque curve is not being used, and the car hits peak torque right at the readline. For a more natural acceleration feel, I suggest you to compress the torque curve further, so it fits on 52 bytes (that correspond to 6656rpm).
  • Remember you can reduce acceleration at high speeds selectively by raising the aerodynamic drag parameter (byte 05Eh, two positions before the start of the torque curve). Note that raising aero drag will also reduce your top speed on a flat track; although since your max revs/gear ratio combo can't make the car possibly faster than 152mph that won't concern you too much.
  • If you're going to adjust the grip, you will find the "fine-tuning" adjustment at byte 0CAh useful. By reducing it from its current value to something closer to zero you can have a car with better handling than most other Stunts cars, yet not way too much better (your current specs, with 1 at 0CBh and 211 at 0CAh are quite close to IMSA car handling, actually).
And finally, when you're done with the tuning I can provide a reasonable estimate based on CarBlaster values for the HP that will be quoted on the info page  :)

cody

did a little more tweaking acceleration close to an lm002

Duplode

Just checked the 1.5, Cody, and the tests allow for some more precise comments:

• First on the torque curve shape. I could not find clear way to explain what I meant with "compressing" the curve to 52 bytes, so I provided a pic instead. The blue curve stands for your original torque curve, ending at 71 bytes, while the purple one stands for what it is currently - it stops at 52 bytes but has the same shape, so the car behaviour will be essentially the same. What I meant was something like the green curve: the length is shortened but the general shape remains the same (and thus the torque peak gets shifted to lower rpm, being reached a while before redline). Doing so will get your car a more natural feeling acceleration curve.
  • Remember to account for manual gearing when evaluating the performance data. The acceleration of your car is close to LM002 only as long as you use auto gears, for in that case the shifting point comes well before the torque peak. If you test shifting at redline instead you'll find the Ranger can give a tight race over a quarter mile even to a car like Countach. So you'll probably want to reduce acceleration further, and significantly. Raising the car mass is one direct way to do so (23 is still a relatively low value for a car); raising aero drag can help at the higher gears and will also smoothen the acceleration profile a bit. Compressing the torque curve so as to have the torque peak earlier on (as explained above) may also help.
  • Finally, grip might still be worsened a bit IMO, although I'd say the current setup is getting close to reaching a "sweet spot", with easier than normal handling yet with a distinctive feel - probably what you aim for.

Overall it's getting close to completion - keep up the good work  :)

cody

whats an easy way to edit the .res file with out having to rename files for stressed, preferably a windows program.

Duplode

I guess you refer to the fact that when you try to edit a .res of a stressed-modded car (with the unpacked .3sh, .vsh) CarBlaster complains about the lack of the packed files (.p3s, .pvs). The workaround to that is opening an original car and then using F9/F10 to cycle through the .res files to reach the modded car (thankfully Mark Nailwood didn't include that rather pointless sanity check elsewhere in the program). As for other .res editors, the few that exist are much inferior to CarBlaster, so we'll have to deal with it until dstien includes .res support on stressed.

cody

who would like to do some fine tuning on this car for me? I will give you credit. I dont have much time to fine tune cars as I use to.  :(