News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Kart

Started by Krys TOFF, January 05, 2009, 02:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krys TOFF

I just remind that I have a "kart" car made by Ayrton, he sent it to me some time ago now. But car shape is the one of the indy. If someone is interested in/capable of doing a (Mario :D) kart shape, then this car could be completed and added to new cars list.
As for me, I'm already busy enough trying to (finally... ::)) complete my F1 2002 car...

Overdrijf

Quote from: Krys TOFF on January 05, 2009, 02:41:21 PM
I just remind that I have a "kart" car made by Ayrton, he sent it to me some time ago now. But car shape is the one of the indy. If someone is interested in/capable of doing a (Mario :D) kart shape, then this car could be completed and added to new cars list.
As for me, I'm already busy enough trying to (finally... ::)) complete my F1 2002 car...

What kind of kart is it? What specs?

I'm asking this because I've been messing arround with stressed a bit myself, I'm trying to turn the indy into a superkart. It's not Mario, but it's bound to keep looking ridiculous even when it's finished...

CTG

Chulk

Nice! I sense a new car(t) coming soon...
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

Overdrijf

By the way, I copied some files of other cars to start testing it. I have a 3d shape STSUKA.P3S, an information file CARSUKA.RES and both an STDASUKA.PVS and STDBSUKA.PVS, and it opens in carblaster now. But since stunts can't open it yet (starts complaining about missing sound, missing shape and a lack of memory somewhere), I've obviously done something wrong. What am I missing?

Krys TOFF

Quote from: Overdrijf on February 17, 2009, 10:54:27 PM

I'm asking this because I've been messing arround with stressed a bit myself, I'm trying to turn the indy into a superkart. It's not Mario, but it's bound to keep looking ridiculous even when it's finished...
Don't remember, something like huge acceleration and high braking car but nothing like Lada Niva Comeback. I would have to test it again and I will tell you. I can send you the car files if you want, so far the shape is indy.

Suitable car shape would be something like that :
http://ascon.net/images/edu/kart.jpg

Overdrijf

Quote from: Krys TOFF on February 18, 2009, 10:44:09 AM
Quote from: Overdrijf on February 17, 2009, 10:54:27 PM

Don't remember, something like huge acceleration and high braking car but nothing like Lada Niva Comeback. I would have to test it again and I will tell you. I can send you the car files if you want, so far the shape is indy.

Suitable car shape would be something like that :
http://ascon.net/images/edu/kart.jpg

I'dd like to have a look at your files. I'm aiming at 2.9 seconds to 60mph, a 155mph top and some great cornering. :)

As for the looks, I was more thinking among this kind of lines:

And slowly but steadily things are going the right way...

By the way, it likes to save files in .3sh format, where stunts uses .P3S. Can I just rename these files? Can't be that simple right? Otherwise it would probably work...

Duplode

Quote from: Overdrijf on February 18, 2009, 11:02:03 AM
By the way, it likes to save files in .3sh format, where stunts uses .P3S. Can I just rename these files? Can't be that simple right? Otherwise it would probably work...

Oops, we forgot to mention that when you told about the missing files. You should keep the extensions as stressed saves them, so that Stunts knows you're using uncompressed data files (the "P" in the original extensions stands for packed - the first thing stressed does when opening a *.P3S is uncompress is to a *.3SH so it can be edited). As long as there is no *.P3S with the same file name in the folder, Stunts will read the *.3SH just as fine. Same thing goes for *.PVS versus *.VSH if you try to edit bitmaps.

Oh, and another thing: be wary when editing custom cars with CarBlaster, as it will re-create the *.P3S and *.PVS files when you save the car if you are using *.3SH and *.VSH. So if after a CarBlaster session your custom shape suddenly vanishes don't worry - just delete the newly created *.P3S. (BTW you can edit cars with missing *.P3S and *.PVS files in CarBlaster: just load an original car and use F9/F10 to scroll to your project).

Overdrijf

Quote from: Duplode on February 18, 2009, 07:12:13 PM
Quote from: Overdrijf on February 18, 2009, 11:02:03 AM

Oops, we forgot to mention that when you told about the missing files. You should keep the extensions as stressed saves them, so that Stunts knows you're using uncompressed data files (the "P" in the original extensions stands for packed - the first thing stressed does when opening a *.P3S is uncompress is to a *.3SH so it can be edited). As long as there is no *.P3S with the same file name in the folder, Stunts will read the *.3SH just as fine. Same thing goes for *.PVS versus *.VSH if you try to edit bitmaps.

Oh, and another thing: be wary when editing custom cars with CarBlaster, as it will re-create the *.P3S and *.PVS files when you save the car if you are using *.3SH and *.VSH. So if after a CarBlaster session your custom shape suddenly vanishes don't worry - just delete the newly created *.P3S. (BTW you can edit cars with missing *.P3S and *.PVS files in CarBlaster: just load an original car and use F9/F10 to scroll to your project).

Oké, so the PVS and P3S should be kept seperate, got it.
Hé cool. it works. :D

Overdrijf

I just found another powergear combo: mass 5 drag 14. :) Seems like I'll have to up the drag a little.
Mmh, 15 does the same. Perhaps I'm just making it easy with too big a top gear...

Duplode

Quote from: Overdrijf on April 28, 2009, 01:14:23 PM
I just found another powergear combo: mass 5 drag 14. :) Seems like I'll have to up the drag a little.
Mmh, 15 does the same. Perhaps I'm just making it easy with too big a top gear...

This just confirms one thing, I think: my explanation in the Car Model Physics is wrong  :) One of many things I need to review there. For the moment, I suggest you to try even-number values for mass, they are (or at least tend to be) less buggy.

Overdrijf

Quote from: Duplode on April 28, 2009, 05:00:13 PM
Quote from: Overdrijf on April 28, 2009, 01:14:23 PM

This just confirms one thing, I think: my explanation in the Car Model Physics is wrong  :) One of many things I need to review there. For the moment, I suggest you to try even-number values for mass, they are (or at least tend to be) less buggy.
I put the drag to 19 now, and I believe it didn't powergear, but that's quite irrelevant for this specific project from now on, since I gave it a 156 miles/hour topspeed. :)
I'm also in the middle of 3D-model changes and I'm going to attack the dashboard files. The project is actually moving again.

Overdrijf

Oké, let's see how much you all know about this stuff.
I've been editing STDA and STDB, and now the car doesn't work anymore. I haven't edited .res since it worked, just added new versions of STDA and STDB. I have deleted some of the bitmaps in STDA, but not all cars use all of these anyway, so I thought it wouldn't matter. I don't think it's a problem with the use of colors, because it affects some of the black-transparant masks too. When I reopen the files in stressed (even if I haven't opened stunts in the mean time) some of the pictures are warped, malformed. It could be some kind of miscoördination between the onjects and car.res's idea about where to place them, but the size of the objects hasn't changed too much actually. The bitmaps unaffected are the 3 parts of the dashboard, the 3 parts of the dot and the alternate pallets, which I did not alter. The bitmaps I erased are roof, ins1, ins3, inm1 and inm3, I didn't need those. Something is going wrong here, but why? I'm hoping one of you encountered this before, otherwise I'll have to start researching for myself... [/lazy]

Duplode

These are two distinct issues. I remember running into the issue of warped bitmaps before when editing gearbox graphics for the GT3 (they look like if the vertical axis of the image was rotated sideways, isn't it?). I can't recall exactly what happened but if I remember correctly it was something about image dimensions (try making the affected bitmaps one pixel wider (or narrower, or shorter, or taller) so they have an even total number of pixels). As for the failure to load the car, it happened because you can't delete ins1 and ins3, as they are always loaded when the steering wheel is turned (inm1 and inm3 might not be obligatory, but chances are you'll need them for the design). You'll probably change your mind about deleting them anyway, as they make the steering wheel motion look quite a lot better when properly set (unless your kart has no meters which are covered by the steering wheel, of course).