News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Working on a pseudo-multiplayer system for Stunts using em-dosbox and WebSockets

Started by HunterBoy344, June 24, 2022, 01:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

I follow your work with great expectation. Unfortunately I can only contribute with ideas.  :)

Daniel3D

It is working a lot better now. I can even drive it on my chromebook (not the strongest pseudo-computer)
But i have no sound.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Daniel3D

an idea to get scores out of the game. (don't know if that can work)
If you save the replay in the game, does that get uploaded to the server?
and is that file identifiable per user (by source ip or something)?
then you could have a scoreboard on the site..
Edison once said,
---------
---------

alanrotoi

Would that need multiple stunts sessions? Can it run seversl stunts at the same time? What if two pipsqueaks saves a replay with the same name? We would need to register a user.

Daniel3D

Quote from: alanrotoi on July 10, 2022, 02:11:23 PM
Would that need multiple stunts sessions? Can it run seversl stunts at the same time? What if two pipsqueaks saves a replay with the same name? We would need to register a user.
The game runs local. O yes multiple simultaneous sessions are possible. But registration and filetracking would be needed. I don't know if that is possible.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

HunterBoy344

Quote from: Daniel3D on July 10, 2022, 08:25:44 AM
an idea to get scores out of the game. (don't know if that can work)
If you save the replay in the game, does that get uploaded to the server?
and is that file identifiable per user (by source ip or something)?
then you could have a scoreboard on the site..

It actually can work, and I just finished making it work!

Yep, time for another dev update: I've (mostly) finished the entire client! I have yet to add a chat, but other than that, all of the functions and page elements are there. I do not yet have a server, but I've organized my client fairly well and know what data the server has to send and receive to make the game work.

Alright, time to talk about the new features. You'll notice when opening the webpage that there are now two new iframes below the game. The first iframe is a leaderboard, and HTML data sent by the server will be inserted there to display scores. The second is a chat, though there is no code for it yet. I intend to get the core multiplayer itself working first. Behind the scenes, I've added automatic replay checking (so that the client instantly sends a replay to the server once it is created), a warning indicator to return to the main menu 10 seconds before the track changes, and some various other improvements. All in all, the client should have everything needed to interact with the server.

I'm on vacation right now, so I might not be able to provide updates as frequently, but I'll get working on the server as soon as I can.

HunterBoy344

Quote from: alanrotoi on July 10, 2022, 02:11:23 PM

You raise a fair point about replay submissions. I'll set up the server such that it closes the connection if the username provided on connection matches another user already connected. I may also associate usernames with IPs later to completely remove this problem.

alanrotoi

You are doing an excellent job! Thank you! I feel we can do great events with this project.

HunterBoy344

Quote from: alanrotoi on July 17, 2022, 06:15:36 AM
You are doing an excellent job! Thank you! I feel we can do great events with this project.

Thanks so much for your support! I really hope my project can open up new possibilities for the Stunts community.

Daniel3D

Quote from: HunterBoy344 on July 17, 2022, 04:15:36 AM
I'll set up the server such that it closes the connection if the username provided on connection matches another user already connected. .
To force popularity I can login as duplode or ctg and set a rubbish time. Honour would force them to login and rectify this monstrosity. But if they participate others will have to follow or they loose face..

It's flawless. Can't fail.  ;D ;D
Edison once said,
---------
---------

dreadnaut

Somewhere I should still have that "Login with ZakStunts" experiment meant for R4K. Further down we could see if we can make it work here ::)

Daniel3D

Quote from: dreadnaut on July 18, 2022, 08:47:22 PM
Somewhere I should still have that "Login with ZakStunts" experiment meant for R4K. Further down we could see if we can make it work here ::)
i think that it would benefit CAS his easytour as well. (totally not a selfish remark at all... ::) )
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Cas

Login unification?  That sounds interesting. I had been thinking of something related. I have a little project I'm working on and it currently uses R4K login system and I had thought of whether it could be separated, but still use it as a form of validation. Now You make me think we could somehow unify the whole login system. Shouldn't the forum also have login integration with ZakStunts?

In Race For Kicks, users have some local characteristics such as an avatar and some flags that might stay internal even with a unified login system, but I could also potentially share that as well. Count on me for any of this. Also, I have left pending that idea about displaying the current race in the hub so all that might be done as one thing. Maybe we should create a topic for this. Alright... let's go one with pseudo-multiplayer here.... I'l make another topic :P
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

HunterBoy344

Screenshot of a test I did yesterday!

I added the race timer and working track distribution for the server. I have a few more things to add, but I plan on hosting a public online play test soon!

Daniel3D

Hey. It looks good.
A few practical ideas. We can make a game executable that has a different car as default.
If you also use default as track you only have to select drive to race.
On the evaluation screen we can place save replay instructions by editing the background.
Edison once said,
---------
---------