News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Pleas insert disk 'b' Press any key when ready. error

Started by Help Needed, February 20, 2024, 07:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Help Needed

Maybe a stupid question but I'm quite a noob with dosbox. But after I insert the Stunts_k.exe code into dosbox it seems to start up Stunts normally. But after a few seconds it gives the following instruction:

Loading Stunts: Please insert disk 'B'. Press any key when ready...

Whatever I do I just can't seem te get right of this message. I've looked online and it seems that a few other people had this problem. Unfortunately they didn't have any solutions.

Also, I've played Stunts a bit on Boxer (a Mac based emulator) but here it had the problem that it couldn't save any tracks or replays. I've even tried to copy one of your tracks into the Stunts folder but even that one didn't appear in the game itself. It only showed the tracks that where already included in the base game. Other games had this problems to (the lost files of Sherlock Holmes for example) so I tried Dosbox but that gives the problem described above.

So I turn to you experts for help. Does anyone of you have any experience with one of the two problems above? And if so, how did you fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Overdrijf

Hi there, sounds mysterious. I'm sure one of our Dosbox experts will drop by in the next few days at most, but let me take a stab at it first.

Quote from: Help Needed on February 20, 2024, 07:44:21 PMAlso, I've played Stunts a bit on Boxer (a Mac based emulator) but here it had the problem that it couldn't save any tracks or replays. I've even tried to copy one of your tracks into the Stunts folder but even that one didn't appear in the game itself. It only showed the tracks that where already included in the base game. Other games had this problems to (the lost files of Sherlock Holmes for example) so I tried Dosbox but that gives the problem described above.
I don't know Boxer, but if this happened on Dosbox it would be because you're placing the new track in the game while the emulator already has the game loaded. In Dosbox you'd fix that by exiting from the game, mounting a new virtual drive (the "mount K D:\wherever\stunts" part) and starting from that drive.

QuoteMaybe a stupid question but I'm quite a noob with dosbox. But after I insert the Stunts_k.exe code into dosbox it seems to start up Stunts normally. But after a few seconds it gives the following instruction:

Loading Stunts: Please insert disk 'B'. Press any key when ready...

Whatever I do I just can't seem te get right of this message. I've looked online and it seems that a few other people had this problem. Unfortunately they didn't have any solutions.
Hmmm, that does sound weird. Could you do me a favor and try to start Stunts_k without typing the .exe? I never type .anything in Dosbox, and I feel there might have been a reason for that. Also, which version of the game and which version of Dosbox are you using? You could try the Zakstunts edition. There's nothing weird in it, it's just version 1.1 with some extra cars and skidding sounds for dirt tracks (which the original game didn't have), but it's a version I know is clean and good because I (re)downloaded it just a few days ago.

If that helps: happy to help! If that didn't help: hold on, help is on the way!

Daniel3D

You get the message when files are missing.
I have a list of files somewhere...
EDIT: found them. These are all the original files except the game itself. If you have a clean copy they should all be there.
AD15.DRV
 ADENG1.VCE
 ADSKIDMS.VCE
 ALPINE.PVS
 BERNIES.HIG
 BERNIES.TRK
 CARANSX.RES
 CARAUDI.RES
 CARCOUN.RES
 CARFGTO.RES
 CARJAGU.RES
 CARLANC.RES
 CARLM02.RES
 CARP962.RES
 CARPC04.RES
 CARPMIN.RES
 CARVETT.RES
 CHERRIS.HIG
 CHERRIS.TRK
 CITY.PVS
 COUNTRY.PVS
 CRED.RES
 DEFAULT.HIG
 DEFAULT.RPL
 DEFAULT.TRK
 DESERT.PVS
 FONTDEF.FNT
 FONTLED.FNT
 FONTN.FNT
 GAME.PRE
 GAME1.P3S
 GAME2.P3S
 GEENG.SFX
 HELENS.HIG
 HELENS.TRK
 JOES.HIG
 JOES.TRK
 MAIN.RES
 MISC.RES
 MT15.DRV
 MT32.PLB
 MTENG1.VCE
 MTSKIDMS.VCE
 OPP1.PRE
 OPP1LOSE.PVS
 OPP1WIN.PVS
 OPP2.PRE
 OPP2LOSE.PVS
 OPP2WIN.PVS
 OPP3.PRE
 OPP3LOSE.PVS
 OPP3WIN.PVS
 OPP4.PRE
 OPP4LOSE.PVS
 OPP4WIN.PVS
 OPP5.PRE
 OPP5LOSE.PVS
 OPP5WIN.PVS
 OPP6.PRE
 OPP6LOSE.PVS
 OPP6WIN.PVS
 PC15.DRV
 PCENG1.VCE
 PCSKIDMS.VCE
 README.INF
 SDCRED.PES
 SDCSEL.PVS
 SDGAME.PVS
 SDGAME2.PVS
 SDMAIN.PVS
 SDMSEL.PVS
 SDOSEL.PVS
 SDTEDIT.PES
 SDTITL.PVS
 SKIDOVER.KMS
 SKIDS.HIG
 SKIDS.TRK
 SKIDSLCT.KMS
 SKIDTITL.KMS
 SKIDVICT.KMS
 STANSX.P3S
 STAUDI.P3S
 STCOUN.P3S
 STDAANSX.PVS
 STDAAUDI.PVS
 STDACOUN.PVS
 STDAFGTO.PVS
 STDAJAGU.PVS
 STDALANC.PVS
 STDALM02.PVS
 STDAP962.PVS
 STDAPC04.PVS
 STDAPMIN.PVS
 STDAVETT.PVS
 STDBANSX.PVS
 STDBAUDI.PVS
 STDBCOUN.PVS
 STDBFGTO.PVS
 STDBJAGU.PVS
 STDBLANC.PVS
 STDBLM02.PVS
 STDBP962.PVS
 STDBPC04.PVS
 STDBPMIN.PVS
 STDBVETT.PVS
 STFGTO.P3S
 STJAGU.P3S
 STLANC.P3S
 STLM02.P3S
 STP962.P3S
 STPC04.P3S
 STPMIN.P3S
 STVETT.P3S
 TD15.DRV
 TDENG1.VCE
 TDSKIDMS.VCE
 TEDIT.PRE
 TITLE.P3S
 TROPICAL.PVS
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Help Needed

Thanks for the quick answers guys!

I'll look into the the dosbox answer later. I did downloaded the Stunts game from your website (zakstunts 2024 edition) so it would be a bit strange if there would be files missing from that download.

But after re-installing Boxer it somehow does save the tracks and lap times. It still doesn't play the the imported tracks though. So I guess it (for some weird unknown reason) saves the tracks and times in a different folder than the Stunts folder. I've tried searching for them on my laptop but it can't seem to find them. So that will be the next mystery to solve.

Overdrijf

Quote from: Help Needed on February 20, 2024, 08:38:36 PMI'll look into the the dosbox answer later. I did downloaded the Stunts game from your website (zakstunts 2024 edition) so it would be a bit strange if there would be files missing from that download.

I'm going to make a suggestion that's probably not it, but it happens to be what's on my mind. I reinstalled Stunts a few days ago because my hard drive crashed, and one of the first signs that it was going to crash, looking back on it,  was problems with the installation and running of some programs because files had become corrupted, including Stunts. So that's probably not why you seem to be missing a file, but in that low odds scenario where that is why you seem to be missing files I don't want to not have suggested it. (I didn't get the same error you describe, I got the one you get when cars don't have all the right files available.)

A less frightening option is that some security program has blocked one of the files as suspicious, maybe a McAfee free trial or something, but reputable software sometimes does this too. i've never seen that happen with Stunts, but at this point I'm just guessing.

Daniel3D

Can you configure the stunts directory as floppy drive? Dosbox (and i assume boxer) isolate the disk after starting. So new files are not seen by the game. But if loaded as floppy drive it acts as removable medium and you can take and drop files on the fly. (It is very useful for replay checking)
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Help Needed

Thanks again guys!

Boxer indeed makes it own C:drive per game. Here are all my costum tracks and replays located. I tried to put the Zack track which is currently used in the competition in that drive and it showed up in the game.

So I guess, problem solved!

I'll go and play the game a little bit more. And maybe I'll even participate in a couple of races in the future. It sounds and looks pretty cool!

Cas

Hey!  Nice you solved it. I was going to suggest other ideas. Hope we see you in the scoreboard soon! :)
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Who won the 2021 season of ZakStunts?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview