News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts sequel projects

Started by Krys TOFF, September 09, 2005, 12:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krys TOFF

Stunts Mania project is dead but I discovered a new project right there :arrow: STUNTS 2005

This is a promising project :D , only for Linux so far. :?
Project files are there :arrow: http://developer.berlios.de/projects/stunts2005

Check the pictures and if you have Linux (Zak for sure, but maybe others too), give it a try and tell us if it's good or not. :wink:

edit : topic renamed as I'll talk on it about all Stunts sequels now.

CTG

Wow, I will install Linux on the other partition if this game is good!

Usrin

I downloaded it, installed it, but I got this message when trying to run. :cry:
What's the problem? Please, somebody (who knows Linux) help me! I see that it can't find a file which is needed - but where should it be? In the downloaded package there was no file with this name...
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

Krys TOFF

Look what they say at their webpage :
QuoteWe used the following libraries for stunts 2005:
Boost
Ogre
Ode
OgreOde
CEGUI
FMOD
nrEngine

And below the pictures you have links to the webpages to get them.
Also, there's a link called "Stunts 2005 WIKI", finally leading there :arrow:  http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=Stunts_2005 for english FAQ. :wink:

Usrin

But I'm afraid it will be crap because they write:
QuoteAs it is a real fun game, we decided to do a remake with modern graphics with realtime shadows and realistic physics.
Realistic physics could kill every fun of Stunts... :?

Krys TOFF

Kill the fun, dunno, maybe, that's why I ask for one Linux user to try it and give a feedback. :-D

Usrin

I'm also curious... OK, they write that they've used the mentioned libraries. But it's hard to believe that I have to download all of them, one by one from there own homepages if I want to run the game. I downloaded Stunts 2005 from the "Stunts 2005 WIKI", but nothing like this was mentioned there...

Usrin

I think I've found what's needed (I hope that's it), but can't install it (see the image below). I think I give it up... :(

zaqrack

I also got the error about the missing zzip library, installing it right now and then I'll try again

zaqrack

Quote from: "Usrin"I think I've found what's needed (I hope that's it), but can't install it (see the image below). I think I give it up... :(

shouldn't you have root access to install packages?

zaqrack

It's not worth the pain anyway. It's at the moment rather a terrain simulator than a racing game, ther is only on car, and thats all.
Handling is not that good, it's quite boring.

I guess this is a project of some university students for a team-coded game, and they wont develop it further after they get marks.

But anyway, at the moment it's not better than any other try to revive stunts. Ultimate Stunts http://www.ultimatestunts.nl/ is still the best and most advanced try.

Krys TOFF

I contacted projet manager and here are some infos he told me :

QuoteWell, we developed this game for a 10 weeks project at university and we (or at least some of us) gave our best. We did it for Linux as the public workstations run under this operating system.
There won't be a DOS version, but I thought about redesign the project and make a Windows version public.
At the moment you need a fast machine to run it properly and because of the short time and issues with some people the game is anything than finished. But you can drive  ;).

So yes, this is a student project but it may not stay "as is", they seem motivated to continue to improve it. We'll see, I'll keep in touch and let you know. :wink:

Chulk

Quote from: "Usrin"But I'm afraid it will be crap because they write:
QuoteAs it is a real fun game, we decided to do a remake with modern graphics with realtime shadows and realistic physics.
Realistic physics could kill every fun of Stunts... :?

I totally agree. Realistic physics would fix most of the bug that makes stunts so different from any other racing games and what really makes it good for a competition :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

BonzaiJoe

Tell those guys to come and enter Zakstunts
But we can't be quite sure.

Krys TOFF

Quote from: "BonzaiJoe"Tell those guys to come and enter Zakstunts
I told them about the Stunts community. Maybe one of them will come and stay... Maybe... :roll: