News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

StuntsCarSwapper

Started by Duplode, October 02, 2010, 07:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

One month ago I made the following "promise":

Quote from: Duplode on September 02, 2010, 11:49:07 PM
I have not tried the Trueno yet - the creative mood of our designers means I met the 24-car limit, and since I am unwilling to remove any of them I'm going to write a car file swapping app to save some of the trouble.

Well, here it is  :D In the end, it turned out that Krys (from whom I read about the limit back in early 2008) was mistaken, and the limit is actually 32 cars... it was a fortunate mistake though, for now we (hopefully) have a convenient way of managing arbitrary amounts of cars in Stunts.

A screenshot is provided so that you can see what it does before downloading the zip. Some additional notes:

• It is a Java program, so you'll need to have it in your system. If for some reason you don't, go to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html and look for "Download JRE".
  • If Java is properly installed in your system the launcher scripts (SCS.bat for Windows; SCS.sh for Linux) can be used to start the program in one click (if they fail, check the readme for suggestions). Just unpack SCS.jar and the scripts into your Stunts folder and launch it.
  • The program is, as far as I can be aware of, unable to eat your cars, Stunts folder, hard drive or dog - it can not remove files and only overwrites things if explicitly allowed. Still, if you want an extra layer of reassurance there is a command that backs up all active cars into a separate folder.
  • Please try it! and do tell me of any problems on launching or running it - specially because my opportunities to test it under Windows are rather limited.

Enjoy!  ;)

dreadnaut

This works very well, thanks!

It would be additionally cool if it could handle zip files containing single cars, so one could just download them and place them in the scs directory... ;)

And maybe one day there'll be an online car database —cough...

edit:  we could move these threads to the new section!

Duplode

Thanks for the appreciation! Zip file handling is a nice idea, and it might be worth it to include a way to handle packed/unpacked file conflicts. At this stage, however, it is more likely that I will end up rewriting this small application rather than maintaining its clumsy Java implementation. Late 2010 feels like a long, long time ago to me...

Quote from: dreadnaut on February 16, 2013, 03:22:47 PM
edit:  we could move these threads to the new section!

Zak, or dstien, can you move it please?

(There is also the JRPLInfo thread, though I don't think that program has a future...)

Duplode

zaqrack

Duplode

By "online car database" do you mean a centralized web page with downloads of individual cars or something fancier? I guess you mean the latter, but if it is the former I keep a very basic one at http://scr.stunts.hu/mods.html . It really could do with some improvements, however...

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on February 18, 2013, 04:41:53 PM

By "online car database" do you mean a centralized web page with downloads of individual cars or something fancier? I guess you mean the latter, but if it is the former I keep a very basic one at http://scr.stunts.hu/mods.html . It really could do with some improvements, however...

Thanks God, I don't have to make that "Vehicle data" section. :D

dreadnaut

Quote from: Duplode on February 18, 2013, 04:41:53 PM

Something like that is probably enough :)   But it could be centralized and easy to read by a program, so StuntsCarSwapper could just get them for pipsqueaks without having to download them manually, move the files, etc etc.

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on February 18, 2013, 08:14:39 PM
Thanks God, I don't have to make that "Vehicle data" section. :D

I wonder about which data to include. For the purposes I have in mind it would be nice to summarize the key features in a way that wouldn't take half a screen per car. For instance, one unoriginal idea would be a NFS-style bar chart with acceleration, handling and so on, plus a few icons for things like PG...

Quote from: dreadnaut on February 18, 2013, 09:48:29 PM
Something like that is probably enough :)   But it could be centralized and easy to read by a program, so StuntsCarSwapper could just get them for pipsqueaks without having to download them manually, move the files, etc etc.

Interesting... even for a static site I guess there could be a plain text / SQLite database in a known location to be used by the program for automatically downloading cars.

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on February 19, 2013, 03:33:47 AM
For instance, one unoriginal idea would be a NFS-style bar chart with acceleration, handling and so on, plus a few icons for things like PG...

Original idea or not, thumbs up! I would be fond of that kind of car evaluation.

dreadnaut

Quote from: Duplode on February 19, 2013, 03:33:47 AMInteresting... even for a static site I guess there could be a plain text / SQLite database in a known location to be used by the program for automatically downloading cars.

Actually, a decently written html page can be parsed as xml, so you don't even need two files :)

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on February 19, 2013, 03:33:47 AM
For the purposes I have in mind it would be nice to summarize the key features in a way that wouldn't take half a screen per car. For instance, one unoriginal idea would be a NFS-style bar chart with acceleration, handling and so on, plus a few icons for things like PG...

::)

When?

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on July 25, 2013, 09:15:07 AM

When?

Good question  ::) As far as suspended Stunts projects go I have maybe three other things on my plate that would have to come before that, but anyway thanks for reminding me  :)

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on July 25, 2013, 05:29:35 PM
Quote from: CTG on July 25, 2013, 09:15:07 AM

When?

Good question  ::) As far as suspended Stunts projects go I have maybe three other things on my plate that would have to come before that, but anyway thanks for reminding me  :)

If you don't do it then I will. And believe me: the world would be happier with your version. ;D