News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Windows XP NTVDM glitch

Started by GTAManRCR, March 05, 2023, 05:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTAManRCR

Have you guys played DOS games on Windows XP natively? (Without DOSBox)
If yes, then you maybe know about the glitchy sound emulation which occurs with all the sound emulation options. The Sound Blaster doesn't even work
Here is an example of the music glitch
Stunts theme through Roland MT-32 emulation
Hejj bicska, bicska, bicska csantavéri kisbicska!

GTAManRCR

Another example with Doom's E1M1 music

alanrotoi

I played DOS games on WinXP but I can't remember about glitches :D

Duplode

Hi GTAMan! Yeah, XP isn't a great system for playing Stunts, at least not natively. The workaround for SoundBlaster sound on XP used to be running VDMSound. In addition, I remember noticing slowdowns of about 10% on computers of that era, which led me to switch to DOSBox at the time (which works fine on XP, as long as the machine can handle it).

GTAManRCR

I find it weird that this glitch isn't discussed anywhere

Daniel3D

I had a creative labs soundblaster pro. Never experienced problems with that.

In my time with W95, (W97) and W98 I booted into dos. And only started windows if I wasn't gaming dosgames.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Duplode

With MT-32 sound, by the way, the results depend on how the MIDI output from the game gets interpreted. The virtual MIDI devices that usually come with the various OSs don't map instruments in the same way that the MT-32 (for instance, you get similar weirdness with Fluidsynth on Linux). That's why, in the absence of a real MT-32, the Munt emulator is needed (either standalone, or integrated into DOSBox Staging). 

GTAManRCR

Daniel3D, the music glitch occurs only when you play DOS games (No matter the game) on Windows XP natively (It uses NTVDM for emulation) and is nowhere mentioned on the internet, so this is the first topic mentioning this.
The Sound Blaster sound option doesn't even work. It's no matter which sound source do you use (General MIDI or PC speaker) the music and sound effects will glitch anyway

Daniel3D

There are references that ntvdm doesn't work well with many games.
You could try otvdm.
Link to the page

The original NTVDM for DOS and Win16 programs is no longer available. Otvdm works around this by using software emulation for a 16-bit x86 CPU, and then uses part of the Wine codebase to translate the calls from 16-bit to 32-bit. This gives you very similar functionality to the real NTVDM environment on a 32-bit system, and allows you to run DOS and Win16 applications on your 64-bit Windows system, albeit with limited performance, since the CPU emulation is not very fast. Because it's not a sandbox environment like most emulators, but it actually integrates with the host OS via 32-bit calls.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

GTAManRCR

Another emulator glitch. This time, it is with NTVDMx64, which can be downloaded from here
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/ntvdmx64.html
I'll make two separate posts to this thread because of the 4 MBs of file limit

GTAManRCR

The other post with the main menu music

Daniel3D

Quote from: GTAMan18 on March 10, 2023, 01:34:04 PMAnother emulator glitch. This time, it is with NTVDMx64, which can be downloaded from here
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/ntvdmx64.html
I'll make two separate posts to this thread because of the 4 MBs of file limit
I used ntvdmx64. But it didn't work for STUNTS, I could sort of play Prince of Persia...
It did prevent windows from updating.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

GTAManRCR

Make sure the naming convention stays 8.3 so extract Stunts to your root directory