News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

no replay handling

Started by juank 23, March 12, 2002, 02:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juank 23

if we are trying to run with strict rules, just to see wich one is the best, i think it would be fair to eliminate replay handling, or have yo seen that in f1, what do you think guys??????  

roywiegerinck

I'd love to eliminate replayhandling in my comp.

But nobody can see if you used replayhandling or not.

It's impossible I think.

It would be great though.

Anonymous

Yeah, I hate it too. The problem is that I never used it before I started to take part in the internet-competitions. When we had our ISA-competition with disks, we gave us the word that we won?t use it. It worked, but just because we knew at this time how good everybody is. Now 'I have problems with replay-handling, because I need to feel the fluence of a track and I can?t do this with replay handling... Also it?s no fun to drive with replay-handling, because you know that it?s not a problem if you crash in the last curve and so there?s no risk behind the driving... No risk no fun  

It would be really great if somebody finds a way to avoid it...  

roywiegerinck

Another advantage of NO-replayhandling is that you don't need much time to drive.

And yes, it's a hell of a lot more Fun without.

Yes, if only we could prevent it..........

Bonzai Joe

You definitely need more time to drive if you don't use replay handling. For instance, in the first 3 months of the Kalpen competition of 2001, I didn't know about replay handling. I spent an incredible amount of time driving the tracks, but I only got 6th, 5th and 7th. Then I learned about replay handling, spent way less time to drive the tracks, but got 4th in both April/May and June. But yes of course it's kind of lame that you can just save your replay again and again... but just as Zak does, I think the best would be the "checkpoint" way. Replay saved every 30 seconds or something... but alas, it's impossible.

Ruepel

Yeah, it would be much more fun without replay handling.

12XU

Bonzai Joe

What does 12XU mean?

12XU

juank 23

bonzai have reason ,if you dont use the replay handling your times will be a little slower, ive never used it, and i can promise that, its because when i drive the track, i just have to concentrate memorize and have fun trying to get as fast as i can, why dont we eliminate replay handling, and its not a matter that how we now if somebody use it, is just to trust in the word, because i think the word counts and i think i can trust all of you, what do you think???????????????  

Anonymous

trust - it?s the title of my favourite song (The Cure). Here is an extract of it:

(...) and still the hardest part for you

to put your trust in me (...)

Yeah it?s hard to put trust in somebody, especially if you don?t know him very well. It would be really great if we could trust each of us, but that?s impossible.  

There would be too much discussions if somebody used replay handling or not, I fear we would just argue in the forum. But good news: Ruepel is working hard   on a possibility to find out if somebody used replay-handling. Just hope that he?ll be succesful.

about 12XU:  I know what it means, but it?s better if you don?t know it.  

Ruepel

Pershing is right.

You can't trust people you've never seen before.

At the moment, it seems to be impossible to find a way to check the replays but I'm working on it.

12XU is my favorite song of "Wire"

speak "1 2 X U" fast and think what the X is standing for...

12XU

zaqrack

It`s impossible, unless you use a TSR.

If you do it without any "3rd party" program, I`ll pay you 10 "turo rudi" (that`s the most finest chocolate in the world, and it`s only available in Hungary.  )

It`s simply impossible. It`s not stored in the replay. Every byte has it`s own job to do.

The key to success is: we have to catch the part in the program of stunts when the user presses escape, or loads a replay, OR the easier way, which just popped in:

We only have to prevent saving the replay while driving. This could be done maybe, we could use the appearance of the evaluation screen as a trigger to allow replay saving.

Easy. Pure ASM.  )))) I don`t know anything about how to do this, but technically it must be possible. with a good memory-dumper.

Zak

zaqrack

Hi!

"good" news!

I`ve asked the coders of our group, they said, it`s theoretically possible to prevent replay handling via a TSR. But:

1. they can`t do it.

2. we need to disassemble stunts to locate the place where we should change the code in the memory.

and if you know a bit about this whole thing, you know what happens, if we disassemble stunts: we have the source code.

And when we have the source code, why not to implement some extra features?   But I fear stunts was written in assembly, and then it`s almost impossible.   But when we could prevent replay handling I`d be really happy though.  

oh yes. And they said they know a coder, who might disassemble it for 2 racks of beer. I`ll ask him, when I saw him on irc.

Sounds too easy to be true, but maybe.  

Of course this would be the violation of the copyright laws, so ssssssh.  )

Zak

FredMercy

How about if you just eliminated the ability to select "Continue Driving" from the replay menu?  I fear the other way may prevent saving replays at all!  You'd also have to find some way to comb a replay to see if it was made in YOUR version of stunts.

Fred Merc

juank 23

when i wrote this article i was afraid because i thought everyone were going to blame me, but i am a lot surprised that all of you hates replay handling, if zak can eliminate it, it would be just marvelous, and i think that if its not possible we could eliminate it by word, and i really think i can trust all of you,? dont you think the same ?

Bonzai Joe

I'm sorry to say that I don't.