News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Everything about computers

Started by CTG, January 23, 2007, 12:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My web browser is...

Internet Explorer
3 (13%)
Firefox
9 (39.1%)
Opera
2 (8.7%)
Google Chrome
6 (26.1%)
Safari
1 (4.3%)
Konqueror
1 (4.3%)
else
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on February 14, 2013, 03:34:12 AM
Yesterday my HD was only found by the BIOS after a few reboots. I am taking bets on when it will go kaput  ::)

Archive, archive, archive!

Quote from: CTG on February 07, 2013, 11:44:06 AM
Ground loop... (or video card problems)

Funny story. When I changed workplace, I got a brand new desktop computer. The only problem was the flickering screen. First, I tried it with another VGA cable - nothing changed. In the next step I called the IT helpdesk and they changed the monitor - the new one was flickering, too. Refresh rate is locked (60 Hz), but when I connect it to my own notebook, all the problems disappeared (as a secondary screen it jumped to 75 Hz). Few weeks ago I called the helpdesk again and got a new computer - but the screen is still crappy.

So: it's not the monitor, not the cable, not the computer. What the hell is left? Some kind of interference with the electric network / other gadgets? (The socket is right behind the computer.) Do you think changing to DVI or HDMI would solve the problem?

zaqrack

It's the power outlet probably, the display cable (or an internal component?) is not properly shielded and you get interference. Try to relocate - and you can change the fixed refresh rate too.

dreadnaut

It can also happen if you have too many appliances plugged to the same socket. It could be worth trying to plug the monitor somewhere else with an extension cord.

CTG

Quote from: zaqrack on February 14, 2013, 11:20:57 AM
It's the power outlet probably, the display cable (or an internal component?) is not properly shielded and you get interference. Try to relocate - and you can change the fixed refresh rate too.
Quote from: dreadnaut on February 14, 2013, 12:03:05 PM
It can also happen if you have too many appliances plugged to the same socket. It could be worth trying to plug the monitor somewhere else with an extension cord.

Thank you! Both will be tried soon - now I don't want to disturb the "roommate" chick. ;D

(Relocation possibilites are quite limited in this room. Maybe I should move to another company. :D)

alanrotoi

Don't disturb her, but show us a pic of her ;)

CTG

Quote from: alanrotoi on February 14, 2013, 06:06:31 PM

Her face is weak mediorce, but her body... yummy-yummy... ;D

Chulk

Quote from: CTG on February 14, 2013, 06:31:42 PM

Still waiting for the pic...
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

Quote from: Chulk on February 14, 2013, 06:41:07 PM

I guess it's not the best idea to publish my workmate's photo... :D

Shall I compensate with hot Russians?

Chulk

Quote from: CTG on February 14, 2013, 07:15:30 PM
I guess it's not the best idea to publish my workmate's photo... :D

Shall I compensate with hot Russians?
Yes! Yes you shall!
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on February 14, 2013, 08:11:34 AM
Yesterday my HD was only found by the BIOS after a few reboots. I am taking bets on when it will go kaput  ::)

After the latest near miss (repartitioning mistake...) I made sure to prepare sane backup and recovery strategies, so everything is safe and sound now :)

On power outlet issues: one specific model in our workplace requires waiting for a while to turn it on in case it is unplugged or there is a power outage. At first, nothing happens if you plug it back and press the power button; eventually the standby light goes on and, after some 10 minutes, it finally boots...

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on February 15, 2013, 01:33:27 AM
Quote from: CTG on February 14, 2013, 08:11:34 AM

After the latest near miss (repartitioning mistake...) I made sure to prepare sane backup and recovery strategies, so everything is safe and sound now :)

Is it still working?

CTG

Quote from: CTG on February 14, 2013, 01:15:53 PM

Thank you! Both will be tried soon - now I don't want to disturb the "roommate" chick. ;D

(Relocation possibilites are quite limited in this room. Maybe I should move to another company. :D)

Tried both - still flickering. What's more, VGA ---> DisplayPort + applying EMI/RFI filtered connector were also ineffective (at least the annoying "ghost image" disappeared with the first, go for it Rotoi/Chulk/Friker :D). Since I used my own computer several times in the office, it also started to flicker - or at least I think so...

Solutions:
1, My eyes and brain are playing a stupid game. Nobody else detected the problem while watching my monitor. Even I start to feel it only after 10-20 minutes.
2, There's a strong magnetic disturbance. Although it mustn't have an effect on TFT screen...
3, 60 Hz is not enough for my eyes. Another useless factor for TFT, but who knows?
4, Unknown effect, causing a general backlighting error of HP screens (?). Sounds silly.

alanrotoi

Still waiting... show us her facebook profile at least xD

CTG

Quote from: alanrotoi on April 17, 2013, 08:30:41 PM

Still waiting... show us her facebook profile at least xD

She has no Facebook, or at least I couldn't find it. But believe me: her face is ugly.

CTG

Quote from: CTG on April 17, 2013, 09:02:24 AM
Quote from: CTG on February 14, 2013, 01:15:53 PM

Tried both - still flickering. What's more, VGA ---> DisplayPort + applying EMI/RFI filtered connector were also ineffective (at least the annoying "ghost image" disappeared with the first, go for it Rotoi/Chulk/Friker :D). Since I used my own computer several times in the office, it also started to flicker - or at least I think so...

Solutions:
1, My eyes and brain are playing a stupid game. Nobody else detected the problem while watching my monitor. Even I start to feel it only after 10-20 minutes.
2, There's a strong magnetic disturbance. Although it mustn't have an effect on TFT screen...
3, 60 Hz is not enough for my eyes. Another useless factor for TFT, but who knows?
4, Unknown effect, causing a general backlighting error of HP screens (?). Sounds silly.

The IT support promised to bring another TFT screen from the older series: 22" instead of 23". It's not a big loss, since I prefer the smaller screen size (I think 19" with 4:3 ratio is the optimal one for my eyes). They got various error reports about the current type - HP Compaq LA 23xx series - from several users... If it won't solve the problem, the next step can be a ground loop test. Then harakiri.