News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

ZCT 139 - Parody

Started by CTG, January 28, 2013, 09:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BonzaiJoe

What was the point of hex-editing, again? As a replay is only a keypress log + track and car info, wouldn't it be simpler just to go 0.05 by 0.05 while actually playing the game?
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on February 13, 2013, 10:59:17 PM
What was the point of hex-editing, again? As a replay is only a keypress log + track and car info, wouldn't it be simpler just to go 0.05 by 0.05 while actually playing the game?

Check biker's Z138 replay with hexeditor, especially the magic carpet series...

Chulk

Quote from: CTG on February 13, 2013, 11:09:19 PM

I would just by curiosity. But I have no idea how to do it
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

Quote from: Chulk on February 13, 2013, 11:18:51 PM

I would just by curiosity. But I have no idea how to do it

Total Commander, file view with F3, choose hex view. It's not that hard to find the "keypress log" in it (but Alain gave a hint several years ago, search for it).

Quote from: CTG on February 13, 2013, 09:30:07 PM
Quote from: Friker on February 13, 2013, 09:26:39 PM
Quote from: CTG on February 13, 2013, 09:00:46 PM
Do you think I use hexeditor? :P

i don't think you have the ability ;) :P (just joking :) )

seriously, i don't think hex editing is quicker than driving, so i don't think you hex edit.

Well... I used it once. :D

Thinking it over again, I used it twice. Once for editing (USL 2010, Countach), once for replay analysis (BJ's ZCT55, cutting the bridge corner).

alanrotoi

Let's create the new hexediting competition!

dreadnaut

Where you get a track and you need to hexedit a replay that reaches the end. Using Stunts to actually drive along the track is considered cheating! ;D

Friker

Quote from: CTG on February 13, 2013, 10:54:53 PM
Friker: hexediting has nothing to do with Stunts. But it's "only" an ethical question.

Like building roads on water, create new meshes, tuning cars...

Duplode

Quote from: Friker on February 13, 2013, 09:43:49 PM
btw why is hex editing forbidden? it seems to me that is only another way of replay handling.. ehm.. actually - it is replay handling :)

If we go down that rabbit hole, I can successfully argue that it is okay to have your team mate drive the middle third of your lap.

Quote from: Friker on February 14, 2013, 02:04:15 AM
Friker: hexediting has nothing to do with Stunts. But it's "only" an ethical question.

Surely you realize there is a difference in that the editing you mention happens before a replay is driven. If this is a conscious attempt to out-CTG CTG, you are doing great...

No comment.

Quote from: alanrotoi on February 13, 2013, 11:37:46 PM
Let's create the new hexediting competition!

:D :D It would be great fun, except that... well, it wouldn't  ;D

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on February 14, 2013, 04:27:43 AM
out-CTG CTG

Beautiful expression. ;D (I don't really get it anyway, but never mind.)

No comment.

Actually it's worth to check. It seems to me that magic carpets are not that random. I don't say it's possible to find a general code for it, but some keypress combos can increase the possibility of bug jumps. It's something like there is a keypress method to complete a curve with IMSA cars over 175 mph, which can be identified from hex codes.

Or the above mentioned case with ZCT55: checking the codes, BJ's replay gave me a hint how to fly over the water with Acura. I tried it 431626 times in Stunts without success, then checked the hex code, saw the steering movements and tried to adopt it. Of course I couldn't reproduce it perfectly (I know it's impossible, since the first part of the replay, therefore the coordinates, directions and speed is completely different), but the similar steering style helped me a lot - completed the jump from ~10 tries.

Friker

Quote from: CTG on February 14, 2013, 08:41:20 AM
Actually it's worth to check. It seems to me that magic carpets are not that random. I don't say it's possible to find a general code for it, but some keypress combos can increase the possibility of bug jumps.

this looks very silly to me (or I am missing something). I think you know enough about magic carpets to not to tell things like these. :) keypress combos like 01 05 and 01 09? :D wow! :)

Quote from: Friker on February 13, 2013, 09:43:49 PM
btw why is hex editing forbidden? it seems to me that is only another way of replay handling.. ehm.. actually - it is replay handling :)

If we go down that rabbit hole, I can successfully argue that it is okay to have your team mate drive the middle third of your lap.

Quote from: Friker on February 14, 2013, 02:04:15 AM

Surely you realize there is a difference in that the editing you mention happens before a replay is driven. If this is a conscious attempt to out-CTG CTG, you are doing great...

I am sorry I didn't want to mock you.  "out-CTG CTG" - a great figure of speech :)

Still no answer - why is hex editing forbidden?

And another question:
I have a replay driven up to time T I want to drive 05 05 05 29 29 09 09 09 01 01 01 (F1 heating tires procedure :) ).
plan A: take a hex editor and append it.
plan B: drive 05 05 05 05 05, rewind it 0.10, drive 29 29 09 09 09 09 09, rewind it 0.10, drive 01 01 01.
what's difference between plan A and plan B?

CTG

Quote from: Friker on February 14, 2013, 12:29:08 PM
Still no answer - why is RH forbidden?

Is RH forbidden?!?!? ??? ;D

Okay, you mean by hexeditor. It's not forbidden, since it can't be proved. I would call rather call it an implicit agreement between the community members. The only way to reveal such an act is when somebody admits it.

Duplode

Quote from: Friker on February 14, 2013, 12:29:08 PM
Still no answer - why is hex editing forbidden?

Because it is not driving. That is the point implicit in CTG's "nothing to do with Stunts" comment. Whether it is detectable or not is of secondary importance. Consider the possibility of a team mate driving the middle third of one's replay; under normal circumstances, that is undetectable cheating as well.

("What about RH?" would be a reasonable question at this point. But RH is not allowed just because it is undetectable. Unlike hex-editing, RH still is something akin to driving performed within the confines of the game. Furthermore, RH requires zero technical knowledge to use, and so the likelihood of it being used for cheating should it be forbidden would be much higher than that of hex-editing.)

---

Actually it's worth to check. It seems to me that magic carpets are not that random. I don't say it's possible to find a general code for it, but some keypress combos can increase the possibility of bug jumps. It's something like there is a keypress method to complete a curve with IMSA cars over 175 mph, which can be identified from hex codes.

From the driver's seat, my impression is that while the first magic carpet in a chain is random, the following ones come more or less naturally for carpet-prone cars as long as you don't disturb the input too much. Years ago I thought of a speculative explanation for magic carpets (this post, second paragraph after the first code block) which would be consistent with what we are saying here, though I guess it is too weakly supported to be taken seriously these days.

Friker

Quote from: Duplode on February 15, 2013, 02:36:12 AM

From the driver's seat, my impression is that while the first magic carpet in a chain is random, the following ones come more or less naturally for carpet-prone cars as long as you don't disturb the input too much. Years ago I thought of a speculative explanation for magic carpets (this post, second paragraph after the first code block) which would be consistent with what we are saying here, though I guess it is too weakly supported to be taken seriously these days.

We have right tools (dumping memory) to confirm your assumptions from these days (rotation of a car at time T+1 is given only by a rotation matrix and a car's rotation at time T).

CTG

Whatever. Let's focus on the track!

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on February 15, 2013, 11:27:36 AM
Whatever. Let's focus on the track!

It gets harder by the day with the car-track combo...