News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

ZCT234 - Lockdown, Worry and Fear

Started by CTG, January 10, 2021, 02:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cas

Here we have people saying there's going to be a second wave, but that doesn't seem to happen. People are being super careless, so clearly it's not the measures stopping said "wave". I could say that, with people taking almost no measures, how can we expect a second wave if the first is at its maximum?  We wouldn't notice the difference. But to be honest, I don't see as many people around being infected as a couple of months ago and there doesn't seem to be a reason for that either. My conclusion is that we just have to be careful because nobody, not even doctors, seem to really understand what's going on, so better do things well just in case, ha, ha. It's so easy to take the basic precautions that there's no reason not to do it. Just the basic ones are already super helpful, even if you're not willing to go the extra mile.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Daniel3D

We have been in lockdown with curfew since January. Although numbers are good authorities say that there a third wave building. A new mutation is growing rapidly while older variants are lowering in numbers. Public unrest is growing (stupid people who use freedom of speech to spread fake news that other stupid people want to be true. Which is not helping) politics are close to elections. It's becoming quite a mess....
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Quote from: Daniel3D on March 05, 2021, 09:26:55 AM
We have been in lockdown with curfew since January. Although numbers are good authorities say that there a third wave building. A new mutation is growing rapidly while older variants are lowering in numbers. Public unrest is growing (stupid people who use freedom of speech to spread fake news that other stupid people want to be true. Which is not helping) politics are close to elections. It's becoming quite a mess....

Here we had a lighter lockdown and a partial (between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m.) curfew since 11th November, but as the numbers started to rise steeply, the government decided to introduce a stricter lockdown now, including the closure of all schools and kindergartens + non-essential shops. The reason is mainly the British mutant, which was imported mainly from Slovakia. I think this stricter lockdown would have had to be introduced 2 weeks earlier to save lives, but at that time the government rather talked about a gradual opening...
Chürműű! :-)

1780.16 km

Cas

Definitely, we do have lots of infected people in South America, but you Europeans are really having problems with these new strains. It looks like the inactivity or very low activity of airlines mainly is preventing those strains from reaching here but it will have to happen at some point.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Quote from: Cas on March 05, 2021, 06:17:37 PM
Definitely, we do have lots of infected people in South America, but you Europeans are really having problems with these new strains. It looks like the inactivity or very low activity of airlines mainly is preventing those strains from reaching here but it will have to happen at some point.

We have variant strains there which came outside from Europe... the South African mutant.

There is a highly contagious South African mutant as well, the Brazilian one (not identified in Hungary so far).

But you can't tell to European people to follow rules like last year in Wuhan...

(And there is a rumour about a possible Czecho-Slovak mutant as well... maybe it is like the British one, maybe not...)
Chürműű! :-)

1780.16 km

GTAManRCR

In Hungary, we have a mutant from Mars
Hejj bicska, bicska, bicska csantavéri kisbicska!

Daniel3D

Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Cas

Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

dreadnaut

Quote from: Cas on March 06, 2021, 02:52:24 AM
Ha, ha, ha XD  Mutants!

It does sound funny, I suppose something is lost in translation here.

What's the hungarian term? Do you have different words for mutation (a small change) and mutant (usually in science fiction, some creature deformed by radiation / pollution / horrible things in the dark)?

CTG

Quote from: dreadnaut on March 06, 2021, 12:05:24 PM
Quote from: Cas on March 06, 2021, 02:52:24 AM
Ha, ha, ha XD  Mutants!

It does sound funny, I suppose something is lost in translation here.

What's the hungarian term? Do you have different words for mutation (a small change) and mutant (usually in science fiction, some creature deformed by radiation / pollution / horrible things in the dark)?

Mutáció, mutáns.

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Quote from: dreadnaut on March 06, 2021, 12:05:24 PM
Quote from: Cas on March 06, 2021, 02:52:24 AM
Ha, ha, ha XD  Mutants!

It does sound funny, I suppose something is lost in translation here.

What's the hungarian term? Do you have different words for mutation (a small change) and mutant (usually in science fiction, some creature deformed by radiation / pollution / horrible things in the dark)?

Ah, I see. While the mutation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation is called mutation in English, the mutation of coronavirus is rather called variant (or they just talk about a different/new strain), mutant is used less frequently. While in Hungarian, we rather use the term mutant virus if it suffers a mutation (like corona).
Chürműű! :-)

1780.16 km

dreadnaut

Quote from: Akoss Poo on March 06, 2021, 01:37:20 PM
While in Hungarian, we rather use the term mutant virus if it suffers a mutation (like corona).

That makes sense actually :D  Thanks both for explaining!

Cas

It's interesting how some words maintain meaning but not "feel" from a language to another. I noticed something similar with the word "thief" in English, which sounds like the person in question has a (bad) skill in contrast with the word "ladrón" in Spanish, that means the same thing, but sounds like the person is very insignificant.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.