News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Just recovered some of my tracks from 1992-1994 from a floppy disk!!!

Started by dukeofurl, December 10, 2023, 07:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel3D

I looked up my database. I have them still sorted by origin.

So here is a track overload.
[to large to attach (5.3MB) so download here,]

There are doubles, because some Track were in several collections. But there are also double used names. So not so easy to distinguish.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

dukeofurl

What is in that track archive^?  Is it every known stunts track available to download online over the years?

dukeofurl

By the way, I'm still messing around with that floppy disk that I initially got the tracks off of, but other than being able to read it the first time I ever used it, its been a total dud!  I've even tried some data recovery software, such as BadCopy, which did an excellent job recovering files from 10 other disks I have, but its unable to show anything on this disk other than to tell me its totally messed up.  Here's the log from the latest scan I did.

Daniel3D

Quote from: dukeofurl on December 24, 2023, 01:55:30 AMWhat is in that track archive^?  Is it every known stunts track available to download online over the years?
It's roughly every downloadable track I have found over the past few years.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Cas

Here are some of my old tracks mixed up with some made by my siblings or some friends and some dumb tests too
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

dukeofurl

Quote from: Daniel3D on December 24, 2023, 01:49:37 PM
Quote from: dukeofurl on December 24, 2023, 01:55:30 AMWhat is in that track archive^?  Is it every known stunts track available to download online over the years?
It's roughly every downloadable track I have found over the past few years.

Thanks, that's very handy. I've downloaded it for my own use.  Would it be worth uploading to archive.org? Seems like probably the largest representation of tracks made by Stunts users around, and since it goes back 30+ years, that seems pretty historically significant.  Would really add a big dimension to the Stunts experience if you were someone who was studying it for some reason or perusing it as a nostalgia thing.

GTAManRCR

I think you can give the diskette another spin with MiniTool Partition Wizard and use its partition recovery feature
Hejj bicska, bicska, bicska csantavéri kisbicska!

dukeofurl

I have managed to recover the entire disk by... Of all things... Fixing up the old 1991 386 PC we used to play Stunts on, and reading it with the ancient disk drive in regular Dos (same drive we used to write the disk actually). I've got the files transferred over to my modern PC and will upload them soon. Bonus pic, running Stunts from floppy disk on my old 386! 

The disk is definitely messed up. At one point it crashed the old PC with lots of gibberish flooding the screen and lots of PC speaker beeps, I've never seen a floppy read error go bananas like that, but with many many repeated tries I was able to get everything off it.

Matei

You have 386 CPU, but you don't have CRT monitor.

https://forum.stunts.hu/index.php?topic=4257.msg92988#msg92988

Also, the aspect ratio is wrong. For Stunts, it should be 4:3.

Duplode

Quote from: dukeofurl on March 02, 2024, 10:19:50 PMMore pics

In a rare sighting, the elusive Stunts paper manual in its natural habitat, hunting copy protection prompts  :D Great to see!

dukeofurl

Quote from: Matei on March 02, 2024, 10:29:18 PMYou have 386 CPU, but you don't have CRT monitor.

https://forum.stunts.hu/index.php?topic=4257.msg92988#msg92988

Also, the aspect ratio is wrong. For Stunts, it should be 4:3.

Oh don't worry my friend, this was just a lightweight monitor that was easily available. I still have the 1991 era 4x3 CRT monitor that we used with this PC. I will pull it out and use it once I get the PC fully fixed up. Right now I need to take the top case off regularly as I deal with replacing and testing hardware and didn't want to have to deal with lugging it off and on the PC each time. 😉

This stretched display is what the monitor defaulted to.

dukeofurl

Quote from: Duplode on March 02, 2024, 11:10:28 PM
Quote from: dukeofurl on March 02, 2024, 10:19:50 PMMore pics

In a rare sighting, the elusive Stunts paper manual in its natural habitat, hunting copy protection prompts  :D Great to see!

I was trying to guess them from the 5 or so that I remember, and then I remembered I could readily look them up as I had gotten the box with manual out next to me in order to get the diskettes!  I always wanted to say "track" for this prompt.  This one is a curveball though as you enter the adjective before the word "track".

dukeofurl

Hello everyone, I've added the latest version of my track archive to the first post, as well as this one. 

There is one new track in the JON92-94 directory, I think it is John6.trk, but the real stuff is in the ROB92-94 directory, where there are, I think, 30 or so new tracks and one new replay made by my brother, who in general, put greater effort into track making than I did.  I hope someone has the time to give some of these a spin!

Cas

'92 through '94 is also the time when I built my own early tracks. Miss that time!
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.