News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Melange XGT-88

Started by CTG, January 07, 2009, 01:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaqrack

It's still time to provide proper bodywork for the Melange to be included in the 2013 season :)

CTG

Quote from: zaqrack on May 08, 2012, 03:18:09 AM
It's still time to provide proper bodywork for the Melange to be included in the 2013 season :)

Don Rotoi, please take the message!

(the basic concept of my alternative Melange bodywork was a huge failure, I think it would be harder to fix it than creating a new one)

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on May 08, 2012, 01:05:49 PM
Don Rotoi, please take the message!

(the basic concept of my alternative Melange bodywork was a huge failure, I think it would be harder to fix it than creating a new one)

Your dashboard looks cool, though  ;)

CTG

Dashboard: well, it was also a problematic one. I screwed up the original transmission with new shift coordinates... On the other hand it wasn't complete.

Bodywork: disappearing polygons everywhere. Later I had no mood to fix it.

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on May 08, 2012, 05:06:15 PM
Dashboard: well, it was also a problematic one. I screwed up the original transmission with new shift coordinates... On the other hand it wasn't complete.

Bodywork: disappearing polygons everywhere. Later I had no mood to fix it.

The 3D shapes might indeed be annoying to fix - but on the other hand disappearing polygons had two main causes; namely, wrong ordering of vertices and bad cull data. IIRC the later versions of stressed had commands to make fixing those issues less painful. As for the dashboard, if the problem is just one of shift coordinates I believe it would be simple to solve once the problem is identified. In any case, I guess you could send me the files if they still exist, so that I can estimate how hard it would be to fix them - maybe it is easier than you think...  :)

CTG

Okay, I promise to publish these files as soon as I get back my computer,

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on May 25, 2012, 05:52:42 PM

...so, have you got it back? Pardon my insistence, but I would love to race with Melange in 2013  :)

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on July 08, 2012, 05:36:38 PM
Quote from: CTG on May 25, 2012, 05:52:42 PM

...so, have you got it back? Pardon my insistence, but I would love to race with Melange in 2013  :)

Forgot it, sorry.

alanrotoi

I already deamed about 15 minutes ago about Stunts, car creation and something about a hard competition with INDY-similar cars.

I woke up motivated to work and finish this car! So I'll give a try right now to start the bodywork.

zaqrack

Quote from: alanrotoi on July 17, 2012, 02:53:38 PM
I already deamed about 15 minutes ago about Stunts, car creation and something about a hard competition with INDY-similar cars.

I woke up motivated to work and finish this car! So I'll give a try right now to start the bodywork.

That's the spirit! Its your car, it would be the best if you would finish.
Also would love to see another competition!

CTG

Quote from: zaqrack on July 17, 2012, 04:17:12 PM
Quote from: alanrotoi on July 17, 2012, 02:53:38 PM

That's the spirit! Its your car, it would be the best if you would finish.
Also would love to see another competition!

I agree with Zak, it's your task (and honour) to give the shape. My old tries were really far from complete and to tell the truth, I didn't really like my own idea for the design.

alanrotoi

I'll try to emulate the car as best as I can because I would like to see it on competition again :).

It will be hard but I guess I can do it before next season. I'll ask every stupid question I'll have, sorry in advance :D

First one, I worked on it this morning and I guess I understand some things of the program but 1) How do I move an object? For example a Wheel. To move from place to place without changing its X, Y, Z.

This would be the dashboard, I don't know if is possible to emulate the security pipes that obstruct a part of the vision.

This is a Turismo Carretera car (Torino)

This is Ford Falcon.

Chulk

I like this Torino more than this Falcon.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

Quote from: alanrotoi on July 17, 2012, 07:10:36 PM
First one, I worked on it this morning and I guess I understand some things of the program but 1) How do I move an object? For example a Wheel. To move from place to place without changing its X, Y, Z.

As far as Stressed is concerned the only way of moving a polygon (or a "polygon", as we are talking about wheels) is by changing the coordinates - though if you right-click the lists of polygons and points you will find commands to flip, mirror and duplicate polygons.

As it is still early enough, I will give two very general suggestions about method for the 3D modelling:

• From the two main car shapes (the hi-res showroom car0 and the on-track car1) I highly suggest you to start from car1, as it is easier to do (since it is less detailed) and arguably more important. Once car1 is done you can make car0 out of it by scaling it up 20x and then adding extra detail to your heart's content.
  • If you miss more intuitive controls when building the car within Stressed you might prefer to do part of the work in an external editor. For Skyline and GT3 I used Anim8or (download it from this page; look for a link to the latest 0.97 preview), which has a number of useful features (I would highlight "proper" drag-and-drop 3D sketching and scaling) and, most importantly, was simple enough for me to find it useful at the time (as opposed to something like Blender, which mostly caused me to stop and stare stupidly at the screen). The Export and Import buttons of the Stressed 3D editor deal with .obj files, which can be brought to and from 3D modelling programs. My procedure back then was to export a car shape not too different from what I wanted to do (Skyline was started from Vette), morph it into something else using Anim8or and then, once the basic shape was settled, import it back to Stressed for colours and other finishing touches.

alanrotoi

Nice! Thanks Dup.,  don't be afraid to teach me or suggest anything about this :)